VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Taxes

Hi,

Been living in Louisiana for 65 years-

I am ready to make a Move- To FLORIDA. I AM 100%Service Connected/Un-impl.

HOW is the property taxes in Florida-on say a $150,000. Home ????

Edited by mymissie

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my,

If you are SC'd-- IU --- P&T,

in Florida you can have a 5 billion dollar home and pay zero property taxes.

If you are not P&T you will get the normal homestead exemption PLUS another $5,000.00

exempt just as a SC'd disabled veteran.

carlie

my,

If you are SC'd-- IU --- P&T,

in Florida you can have a 5 billion dollar home and pay zero property taxes.

If you are not P&T you will get the normal homestead exemption PLUS another $5,000.00

exempt just as a SC'd disabled veteran.

carlie

I am calling a Realtor-an packing my bags----

I'am IU&P&T

I love it in Florida-go there every year.

Any Suggestions as to best Small town along Gulf-Not on Gulf??

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Carlie, in Florida as a 100% P&T veteran you only pay the recycle portion of your taxes, which in my case is currently about $115 per year.

• HadIt.com Elder

MyMisse

I would be careful about moving to a coastal community in Florida. You will find that your property insurance will cost you a fortune. I like the North Central part of Florida. It is not so crowded and is pretty rural. I think you can buy a lot of house in the part of Florida away from the coast for 150,000. Near the coast I don't think you can buy much for 150,000.

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-b...terans-benefits

Florida State Veteran's Benefits

Homestead Exemption (Permanent &Totally Disabled)

Any real estate used and owned as a homestead by a veteran who was honorably discharged with a service-connected permanent and total disability and for whom a letter from the United States Government or VA or its predecessor has been issued certifying that the veteran is totally and permanently disabled is exempt from taxation, provided the veteran is a permanent resident of the state on January 1 of the tax year for which exemption is being claimed or on January 1 of the year the veteran died.

The production by a veteran or the spouse or surviving spouse of a letter of total and permanent disability from the United States Government or VA or its predecessor before the property appraiser of the county in which property of the veteran lies shall be prima facie evidence of the fact that the veteran or the surviving spouse is entitled to such exemption.

In the event the totally and permanently disabled veteran pre-deceases his or her spouse and upon the death of the veteran, the spouse holds the legal or beneficial title to the homestead and permanently resides thereon as specified in FS 196.031, the exemption from taxation shall carry over to the benefit of the veteran's spouse until such time as he or she remarries or sells or otherwise disposes of the property. If the spouse sells the property, an exemption not to exceed the amount granted from the most recent ad valorem tax roll may be transferred to his or her new residence as long as it is used as his or her primary residence and he or she does not remarry.

Veterans who are paraplegic, hemiplegic, are permanently and totally disabled, must use a wheelchair for mobility, or are legally blind are exempt from real estate taxation if gross annual household income does not exceed the adjusted maximum allowed. The veteran must be a resident of the State of Florida to qualify. Certificate of such disability from two licensed doctors of this state or from the VA or an award letter from the Social Security Administration to the property appraiser is prima facie evidence of entitlement to such exemption.

Learn more about Homestead Exemption

Homestead Exemption (10% to 100% BUT not Permanent in nature)

Eligible veterans with service-connected disabilities of 10% or more shall be entitled to a $5000 property tax exemption. To qualify for homestead exemption a veteran must be a bonafide resident of the state.

Every person who is entitled to homestead exemption in this state and who is serving in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States may file a claim for homestead exemption. Servicemen unable to file in person may file through next of kin or duly authorized representatives.

Edited by carlie
sp