VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could This Be Influential For Cue? Polio Diagnosis As Infant?

Rate this question

halos2

Question

Vet went into service and upon admission H & P typed on reverse side "infantile paralysis polio no residuals"

Vet had back injury inservice had many treatments, medications, adaptive equipment, pain all of the time, had bed rest 3-5 days, therapy for 20 days, xrays did not show anything broken(years before CAT's and MRI's)pain radiation to legs. All notations show pain continues, no improvement. Brace ordered.

Discharge physical has had typed notation on reverse side no further problem from back injury on date xx/xxxx. The vet never had an injury on the date typed on the discharge physical. The injury occurred months later.

The claim was denied 2x. Never had the vet or va made referrence to the preservice infantile paralysis polio diagnosis.

So can this be conscrewed as a preexisting condition prior to admission to the service? Would that help the vets claim?

The vet was hospitalized for this polio and was paralysed in the spineous region and could not sit/stand/walk/move extremities/turn over/not continent of b&b function/ none of these things...have not been able to locate hospital records as it was about 58 yrs ago. There is a sister who could vouch for this and some other relatives too.

Just wondering as wouldn't this determine there was evidence of this preexisting condition as validated on the adm h&p? Any injury to the spinous process subjects it to further damage at a later period in one's life as noted on Dr Bash's site regarding back claim documentation evaluations.

This was never addressed in the past so would one now?? Info appreciated.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wings, I haven't found a claim yet that looks like it might be DS's. I found 219 related claims on vagov cases...looked and read 20 so far...the stats for the 20 were 9 remanded, 6 denied, 1 dismissed, and 4 granted. The % granted = 20% with these 20. I don't know if I should put in a claim for this until I could find a dr who would connect it yet? Plus my back claim is at BVA, so if I claimed another condition for back would this bring my file back? Would it screw up my claim at BVA level? Or should I claim ot and then wait for the rest to occur...as this will start a new date for me to retro back to if granted?

x

x

x

Maybe DS would be willing to come on board and tell us how he won his post-polio claim. He got mad at me when I didn't respond promtly to his emails; anyway, I don't have his email addy anymore, but maybe one of you do. On another note, a BVA Search could yield good results! ~Wings