VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Panic Disorder With Agoraphobia

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I was thinking of trying to get my panic disorder with agoraphobia riased to a higher percentage, but don't know if it can be done. Prior to Dec 16, 2003, I was 70% for PTSD, 20% for diabetes, and a couple of zero %, with TDIU P&T. On Dec 16, 2003, I put in a claim for panic disorder with agoraphobia, secondary to my PTSD, then on a rating decision on July 16, 2004, I was granted a increase. this is how the VA wrote it,

Evaluation of PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia, which is currently 70% disabling is increased to 100% effective Dec 16, 2003. there is no mention of my 20% diabetes, and I was never service connected for panic disorder with agoraphobia prior to this determination, but the way VA, has it worded, it sounds like I was service connected for PTSD with panic disorder with agoraphobia back to when I first got a PTSD rating, which was in 1984. the VA never mentions any percentage rating for the panic disorder with agoraphobia, so don't have a clue how it works, that is why I would like to know, how do I go about asking for a raise, as I have seen some rating decisions where you can get 100% for just agoraphobia, where it is proven by VA law, AND I feel I should be rated that high, the way my living situation is.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks to me like you should get the Housebound benefit automatically but knowing the VA you better ask for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Frosty

You can get housebound for agorahphobia. A friend of mine got it for panic disorder and agoraphobia. You do have to ask for it, as Pete says. The VA may consider this as a reopened claim when you ask for housebound.

Guest Namvet6567

Les - when you received the 100% rating ("Evaluation of PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia, which is currently 70% disabling is increased to 100% effective Dec 16, 2003."), the VA should have considered A&A and housebound, as inferred issues. If they didn't that aspect of the claim remains open. I feel you have a great shot at housebound and should review that decision for an error. If found, I would apply and give them any evidence you can provide, using the EED of 12/16/03. JMHO!

Namvet6567

I didn't even know about housebound/A&A, back in 2003, but found out about it on hadit, a year or so ago, and put in a claim for it, and was turned down, they stated besides the 100%, I needed another 60%, from another disability or a combination that added to 60%, without that, I wasn't elgibile, so they denied me, but already filed a appeal and told the RO, that I wanted the case to go to BVA, so don't know if they will do that or not. The RO don't really go by R&R, they just quote a lot of BS, in the hope you give up your claims. I got turned down for back injury claim in 1971, stating their wasn't anything in my in-service medical files, that stated that, and the VSO, I had back then, confirmed that, so i gave up, also know one told me, that I could appeal the denial, hell back then didn't know anything about c-files, didn't find out about that until 1996, when another VSO, told me, and didn't know I could a copy of them, until 2003, when I got them, and my whole c-file is 12 pages long, except for some shot records, there isn't anything after basic training, so hard for me to prove anything, as sr louis tells me, my local VARO, has all my in-service files. I found one note from a doctor where he wrote I was in the clinic, with pain shooting down both legs, from my back, and then in the line under that statement it states pes plamus. so when I filed anothe claim for my back the RO, turned me down stating the pain shooting down my legs came from my feet, so denied me, and I also appeal that and also for my flat feet, as I failed 2 physicals in 1964, when I turned 18, then again in 1966, they listed that I was 1-Y, then in 1967, went in for my third physical, and they passed me, then in april, of 1968, I got drafted, 3 months shy of my 22nd birthday. I had pre-existing conditions of flat feet third degree, hyphosis of the spine, and defective vision, and went in many times for my feet and back problems in basic, but most records are missing. I feel either the army or the VA lost them, maybe even on purpose, who knows, as paranoid, as I have become, I don't trust anyone, now they are sending me out to washington dc, the end of april, for a week for tests, about agent orange and other things.

Guest Namvet6567

If you received a 100% schedular rating for PTSD, I'd file a CUE for A&A and/or Housebound, back to the original claim date, of the 100% schedular award. Additionally, you can file a CUE claim for the subsequent denial, in that they failed in their "reasons and bases" by not stating they considered Housebound under an inferred/implied issue and then explaining it away w/the 60% additional rule. Flip

Namvet6567

Yes, I am rated 100% for PTSD, with the panic disorder with agoraphobia included in the PTSD award, that is why I was wondering if I can file for a higher rating for panic disorder with agoraphobia, or if I stuck, being the VA included it my PTSD award, 5 years after I intially got 70% for PTSD TDIU P&T. I suppose I have to wait for another denial for the housebound/A&A, which will take awhile, since I just sent in the appeal 2 weeks ago. You mean I can file a CUE now, or do I have to wait until I get denied again? sorry if I sound redundant, but my memory & concentration is bothering me again.