VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Issues

Rate this question

Scott D

Question

I am not very sure how the VA gets around to rating mental health issues. I have read through the rating of schedules but so far it isnt making too much sense. I may need to take a break read, digest, and study to fully understand.

In the meantime I was hoping some of you may be of some help.

Also while in service I was treated for Social Anxiety disorder. During the VA C&P the doctor diagnosed Agorophobia with panic attacks, which the VA service connected at 10% which is being NOD'd. Why did they rate the Agor w/panic vice what was already in my record for Social Anxiety. Under the DSM4 they are seperate conditions, although closely related.

Also I have been recently diagnosed as being Bipolar II, this is with in 1 year of seperation so I have applied for service connection. How will this new Menal halth issue add to into the already rated conditions, if service connection is established?

Thanks,

Scott

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Scott if you are not able to work you should end up with 100% in some form or another. If you can work it could run 30 to 50% even 70%.

• HadIt.com Elder

Scott

Your claims sound good. Once you get service-connected for even 10% you can start using IMO reports to bump it up higher. Your goal should be to get at least 70% so your TDIU can fly if you can't work any more. In you case the nexus is the main hurddle. Once you have that it is a matter of time. You were treated and diagnosed in service so that is going to go a long way for service-connection.

• HadIt.com Elder

Scott D

Read through your medical records. If you do not have them go to the VA hospital, records and correspondence office and tell them you want copies of all treatment notes and reports through your last visit. See if there is any reference to something called "GAF". If you see a GAF score or you know what it is post the GAf score and you will get a lot moe information.

The VA psychiatrist assigned A GAF of 60 and my current treating psychiatrist has assinged 65, but has also stated that due to the nature of Bi polar disorder GAF scores will fluctuate. Also both were given while on medications, which I have had to stop due to occupational requirements.

• HadIt.com Elder

the VA usually rates the worse problem and all other mental issues are just part of the package like depression and PTSD while different the VA only pays for the highest rated problem and it is usually PTSD, in your case I would think the Bi-polar would be the worse of the rated problems. you get into what the VA calls pyramiding, trying to get paid for the same organ in different ways, if you were given a GAF of 60-65 on meedication I am sure you should recieve a higher ating off your meds, have you been continuing treatment since you stopped your meds? This will go a long ways in helping you extablish your inability to work while taking the meds. They are supposed to rate you on your worst day not your best. but if you don't let them see you on your worst days they will not document it for you, my wife always tells them the stuff I levae out, they have allowed her in to all my sessions since I started bacl in Jan 2003 and it works best, she remembers more stuff than I do. good luck and it does take time