VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Today At 11:00am

Rate this question

shortpig

Question

I'm not as nervous about the outcome as I am about setting in a strangers office sharing my life with them. Thanks to my Advocate my Ducks are straggling all over the place but I have to take some of the ownership of that myself. I decided to take the whole day off work so I wouldn't have to rush back to work after the appt. I suspect it will be a total emotional drain on me therefore I wouldn't be much help at my job.

I know I'm just rambling, it is 5:15am and I haven't had enough coffee yet or smoked enough cigarettes yet to be wide awake and ready to go.

I have heard that our local office is one of the best in the nation at working with their veterans and helping them. I just don't want to receive any further abuse from a military type institution for something that wasn't my fault. This would cause me to run away very quickly and go back in hiding.

Hoping all of you have a great day and will let you know how it goes.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

when you go into the room with the doc..don't sit with your back to the door.they always position a chair close to the door to see if you will do it....refuise to sit with your back to the door.

I have heard that our local office is one of the best in the nation at working with their veterans and helping them. I just don't want to receive any further abuse from a military type institution for something that wasn't my fault. This would cause me to run away very quickly and go back in hiding.

Hoping all of you have a great day and will let you know how it goes.

I'm back home now. The Dr I saw was very nice. She did not give me any tests for PTSD, she just asked me what happened, she asked me what I was like prior to going into the service. She asked what my daily life is like now and if I think about suicide still. I told her the truth. She said that when I was in the Army women were treated terrible and that I should not have had to have lived thru such a thing as that. She asked about my discharge and why I was discharged, I told her. I told her I am seeing a psychologist right now and hope to be able to continue getting help. So here is her response back to me, what do you all think?

She said that it can be set up from here on that I continue seeing my own doctor and the VA will pick up the tab. She felt they should also take care of my health concerns from now on and that I need to be started on meds for my condition. She understood my extreme need to have to stay alert at all times. She walked me out to the lobby where my daughter was waiting for me to make sure she hadn't stepped out some where and left me alone. She also took me to the office so I would be reimbursed for my mileage to and from the clinic.

She did ask how I was able to get to work alone and I told her that it is 1 mile from my home and therefore 1 mile back. My daughter and her husband live with me and take me where ever else I need to go. My daughter does almost all of the grocery shopping for the household and then she asked me how I spend my time when I'm not working. Again I was honest and said not much, I watch TV and on weekends I try to rest up and get extra sleep during the day due to losing sleep at night from the nightmares I have and waking up several times a night.

All and any opinions are welcome at this point.