VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic

cjevans

Question

I have my husbands death certificate and I'm wondering if I write the cause of death here can you tell me if I will qualify for DIC benefit. My husband was 100% Disabled due to service connection Cancer of the Larynx (twice). His death certificate reads:

Immediate Cause of Death: "PROBABLY METASTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA OF PANCREAS TO LUMBAR SPINE"

Other Significatan Conditions contibuting to death but not resulting in the underlying cause given: "HYPTHYDROISISM, HISTORY OF LARYNGEAL CANCER"

I will be filling out forms this weekend. Just am curious to know if this is gonna fly with VA.

Thanks Kindly for any responses

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

On the 524 mark that this is a service connected death. Add the death certificate. There should be no further development. Don't give them anymore information to pick over. Believe me, it is enough.

Sharon you really think so? Thanks so much for your reply. I was kinda going in that direction anyway.....you must have experience in this matter...or have read a lot of cases...

If the VA already has definitive medical records from what they originally granted the service connected condition for--then possibly the death certificate might be enough. However, in your case you appear to be dealing with at least two primary cancer site's: (1)laryngeal (2)pancreatic, that became metastatic to the spine. He was service connected for #1, not #2. Submitting the death certificate is of course the first thing the VA looks at, but be prepared for a battle and/or request from the VARO for hospital/physician treatment records. Cause of death some times needs further explanation beyond the certified death certificate. I don't want to sound pessimistic, just realistic. However, if when reviewing the death certificate and medical records---the VA rules that it was the original laryngeal cancer that progressed to the pancreas, you should not have any problem getting the VA to approve DIC. *I think Pete gave good advice, don't go it alone, you may want to seek assistance from a VSO (veterans service officer).

Thanks VMO for your reply.

Sharon what do you think?

I would go with a VSO and verify information with the hadit members.

So Sharon are you saying that I need the docotor/hospital medical backup along with the DIC form and Burial Benefits form or wait until after I send in DIC and Burial forms and see if they ask for more backup.