VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pd Discharge Newly Diagnosed With Ptsd/mst

Rate this question

1994andcouting.....

Question

I was discharged back in 1990 with a Personality disorder, still not sure who gave me that diagnosis. All 3 of my MH C&P's have gone back to that initial diagnosis. I have been seen at the VAMC by psychiatrist who labeled me clinically depressed and I have a long history of depression.

However , last fall, I did the groundwork and started therapy as part of a study at my local VAMC for Female MST victims. (I did not report the assault at the time) Due to my job I couldnt continue, so I had to drop out midway. My claim (depression) was on appeal at the time at the BVA so I did not want to mess with it there. Through the study I have since been diagnosed with PTSD secondary to MST.

Should I change that now that I have received my SSOC from the BVA? Should I drop my depression claim and go with the PTSD claim? I have also been doing research on the net and everything that I went through clearly shows that I have PTSD and have had it since the incident. I am sickened every time I think of how I allowed myself to be 'kicked out' based upon the lame PD diagnosis. I was afraid to tell anyone about the assault outside of what I thought at the time were close friends because the people that I told seemed like they didnt believe me when I said what happened. The guy was an associate to all of us. So I left A school and went to the fleet carrying all that baggage and have been ever since. At this point Im still afraid to tell who he is, but at the rate that its going I will have to. I still have panic attacks because I think that if he finds out he may do something to me. I dont even know if the guy is dead or alive but its scary.

Im so confused. :unsure:

Sorry if this post doesnt make sense. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 1994andcouting.....

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

This is tricky. Since your dx of PTSD is new....there is no SC for it. Even though we all know that you actually have had PTSD all along. Now, proving that to the VARO is the problem.

You said you currently have a claim pending for depression? Might want to wait on the outcome of that claim.

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? And your mental health records from your active duty time? If not...get them. If so, go through them word by word and look for anything that might even hint at PTSD or symptoms of it. I think that would be the only way you can SC it since your initial dx was PD.

But, that's just me.

• HadIt.com Elder

Were you denied on the depresssion claim? I think that it is not an either or for the depression and PTSD claims. You could claim both since depression is a symptom of PTSD. What are you claiming depression for? You can get 100% for depression just as easy as PTSD without having to verify stressors. If you are SC'ed for depression go with that so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Were you denied on the depresssion claim? I think that it is not an either or for the depression and PTSD claims. You could claim both since depression is a symptom of PTSD. What are you claiming depression for? You can get 100% for depression just as easy as PTSD without having to verify stressors. If you are SC'ed for depression go with that so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Yes, I have been denied on the depression claim a couple of times at the RO level. I am not SC'ed for anything yet. I was hoping at the BVA level things would change. I dont even see all my evidence listed on the SSOC. Im more confused now.

Thanks for your response john999

Edited by 1994andcouting.....

This is tricky. Since your dx of PTSD is new....there is no SC for it. Even though we all know that you actually have had PTSD all along. Now, proving that to the VARO is the problem.

You said you currently have a claim pending for depression? Might want to wait on the outcome of that claim.

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? And your mental health records from your active duty time? If not...get them. If so, go through them word by word and look for anything that might even hint at PTSD or symptoms of it. I think that would be the only way you can SC it since your initial dx was PD.

But, that's just me.

Purple, thanks. I just read the SSOC and although the first page says its not a decision, the last page says that everything I claimed is denied. So am I reading it wrong or did they just add the latest info to the original SOC?

I have everything from SMRs to my latest docs notes at the VAMC (I thought they did too until I read the SSOC) I have it all filed in chronological order. So I will take some time the next week or two to scan through all of it and decode the docs notes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you considered getting a lawyer. That PD diagnosis is standing in your way and I see you are getting frustrated. It would be good to have some objective eyes on this claim, and also a person who knows the VA's tricks and has a strong motive to win your claim (money). If you are not working that means TDIU or 100%. The longer the time between discharge and diagnosis the harder it is to prove things like MST. The only ones who have it easier with PTSD are decorated combat vets. There stressors don't have to be proved.

Have you considered getting a lawyer. That PD diagnosis is standing in your way and I see you are getting frustrated. It would be good to have some objective eyes on this claim, and also a person who knows the VA's tricks and has a strong motive to win your claim (money). If you are not working that means TDIU or 100%. The longer the time between discharge and diagnosis the harder it is to prove things like MST. The only ones who have it easier with PTSD are decorated combat vets. There stressors don't have to be proved.

I am working but I have had too many to count. I get frustrated easily and dont do well around a lot of people.I finally found a small company where I am just able to do my work and pretty much be left alone. The flip side to that is when I take off for VA appts or just not feeling well, its very obvious that Im not here.

Can I get an attorney now (at BVA level)? I was thinking I had to be denied at the BVA level before I could do that. I tell ya, I am learning more and more each day. :-) Thanks