VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

List Of Recent Bva Cue's

Rate this question

Angela

Question

Carlie,

Here's a list of recent (2002-2005) CUE decisions concerning specifically "FAILURE TO CONSIDER EVIDENCE". I included a short quote from the decision to help you decide which might be helpful.

Will be going through CVAC's decisions soon also. If I find anything I think might help you I'll post it here.

Angela

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files1/0503568.txt

rating decision failed to consider evidence of a PTSD stressor found in the veteran's service medical records, and even noted on a deferred rating decision prior to the VA examination in November 1997. 4. The unappealed April 1990 RO decision, which denied service connection for PTSD, was undebatably erroneous in failing to consider a confirmed diagnosis of PTSD based on stressful combat experiences; and, if such error was not made, the veteran would have then been granted service connection for PTSD.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files2/0507968.txt

Neither of these cited VA treatment records, nor any of the other medical records that were before the RO in April 1994, contain a diagnosis, assessment or impression of PTSD. The RO specifically noted the September 15, 1993 report in its April 1994 rating decision, but correctly noted that the report did not contain a diagnosis of PTSD. Because the report was noted in the rating decision, it cannot be held that the RO committed CUE by failing to consider that evidence.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files4/0522589.txt

The failure to obtain the VA medical records is particularly significant because in Bell v. Derwinski, 2 Vet. App. 611 (1992), the Court held that VA medical records which are in existence are constructively of record and the failure of the RO or the Board to consider any such pertinent records might constitute clear and unmistakable error, even though such evidence was not actually in the record assembled for appellate review.

&

the RO in these decisions, as well as the Board in the current decision, was only providing a summary of the evidence of record rather than a detailed account of all information contained therein. In Gonzalez v. West, 218 F.3d 1378 (Fed. Cir. 2000) the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (Federal Circuit) held that "absent specific evidence indicating otherwise, all evidence contained in the record at the time of the RO's determination of the service connection must be presumed to have been reviewed by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and no further proof of such review is needed."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files1/0506205.txt

The September 1989 rating decision failed to consider applicable law and evidence favorable to the veteran's claim.

&

If VA had considered the provisions of section 1154(:P, incurrence of acoustic trauma during the veteran's combat service would have been conceded (especially in light of the lack of service medical records), and if VA had further considered the private medical evidence, a then- current hearing loss disability and a relationship between that disability and service would have been acknowledged.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files/0400460.txt

Although the CAVC has recognized that a viable CUE claim may be premised on the theory that the RO had failed to consider evidence of a high probative value, the Court has made it clear that, for such a claim to succeed as to an RO decision issued prior to February 1990, the RO must have denied the very existence of the evidence. See Glynn v. Brown, 6 Vet. App. 523, 531 (1994)

http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files3/0429423.txt

Upon review of the 1987 decision, the Board notes that although the decision did not specifically refer to the 1982-4 medical records in its discussion of the facts, there is no indication that this evidence was not considered by the Board in reaching its final determination.

&

The September 1987 Board decision, moreover, pre-dated the provisions of 38 U.S.C.A. § 7104(d)(1), enacted in February 1990, which now requires that Board decisions contain "Reasons and Bases" for Findings of Facts and Conclusions of Law. Although the September 1987 decision arguably would not pass muster today, today's standards cannot be applied to it. See 38 C.F.R. § 20.1403(B).

http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files3/0427337.txt

The VA is deemed to have constructive knowledge of those records and, in this case, has actual knowledge of the existence of those records. As such, they are considered to be evidence that is of record at the time any decision is made and should be associated with the claims file. See Bell v. Derwinski, 2 Vet. App. 611 (1992). See also, VAOPGCPREC 12-95, 60 Fed. Reg. 43,186 (1995) (". . . With respect to final agency of original jurisdiction (AOJ) decisions rendered on or after July 21, 1992, an [agency of original jurisdiction's] failure to consider records which were in VA's possession at the time of the decision, although not actually in the record before the AOJ, may constitute clear and unmistakable error if such failure affected the outcome of the claim. . . . ").

&

However, these criteria were not in effect at the time of the May 1994 rating action. The then applicable criteria were contained in 38 C.F.R. § 4.132, Diagnostic Code 9411 (1996). The RO must initially consider the impact of the old criteria, prior to a decision by the Board. Disabled American Veterans v. Secretary of Veterans Affairs, 327 F.3d 1339 (Fed. Cir. 2003).

http://www.va.gov/vetapp02/files01/0203173.txt

With regard to the alleged factual error - that the Board did not consider a March 27, 1995 VA examination report - the evidence demonstrates that a copy of this report was in fact of record at the time of the June 2001 Board decision. The Board was not specifically required to mention every item of evidence of record it reviewed in reaching its conclusion, even though its review of the "record" began at least from the most relevant period in 1990, through 2000.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp02/files01/0202027.txt

Mere disputes as to how the Board evaluated the evidence are not CUE. 38 C.F.R. § 20.1403(d). In contrast, failure to consider evidence of record pertinent to the claim can be grounds for a finding of CUE in a decision of the Board. 38 C.F.R. § 20.1403(a).

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I get that the AOJ and BVA are not required to discuss every piece of evidence.

However, has evidence been constructively considered when the RO And BVA have never 'listed' the evidence in question?

My doctor wrote me up in 1993 and a few more times down the road, 3 or 4.

The RO and BVA have always refered to a 'later than 1993' opinion from my doctor, notably 1996.

The SOC has never mentioned the VAMC diagnosis' from 1996 or 1995 and they say they have no record of the doctor working for the VA anyhow.

Lately, they ain't got a clue.

sledge

Try reading your decision and/or SOC side by side with the medical records you think they were specifically taken from. In my case, the RO quoted almost word for word from an in-service MEB and completely ignored later medical records. In my CUE, I showed the MEB statements side-by-side with the RO's statements and pointed out that the RO even stated that his information was dated the same as the MEB.

The RO's aren't supposed to quote extensively from your records. This is probably why! Since they did in my case it's obvious where their info came from and that they didn't consider anything else. Maybe they did that in your case too?

• HadIt.com Elder

Angela,

Posting recent decisions was a great way to address the CUE problem. Keep this info ready for further postings. This comes up over and over again with new folks to the board.

The best way to avoid the CUE mess is to file your appeals on time and aggressively argue your claim. The first case pertaining to the PTSD veteran could have been won the first time had he or an SO aggressively fought the claim. The good news is that the VA actually allow reversals and earlier claim dates for a CUE.

For anyone who has shaken their heads in disbelief on reading CAVC decisions that said "the Court cannot hold clearly erroneous a Board finding unless the evidence is uncontroverted against the Board's finding" or

"reversal by the Court is not warranted when there is a plausible basis for the Board's decision"

PLEASE READ! CAVC Decision 02-2259 Padgett v Nicholson (2005)

I read this decision as very hopeful to all veterans who must deal with low-balling, double-talking and just plain no-common-sense denials by the VA that are then sent to the BVA for further justification of the unjustifiable! Your thoughts??? Am I hallucinating here!

It states, and I quote,

"To the extent that Hicks and other precedent relying on Hersey can be read to support the proposition that a Board finding cannot be clearly erroneous unless the evidence against that finding is uncontroverted, that precedent is overruled unanimously." :)

&

"The language in Hicks that reversal is the appropriate remedy when there is absolutely no plausible basis for the BVA's decision and where that decision is clearly erroneous in light of the uncontroverted evidence in the appellant's favor derives from our decision in Hersey, which had characterized the evidence in the appellant's favor as "uncontroverted" and DID NOT add that criterion to the standards for a finding of "clearly erroneous." Hersey and Hicks were

thereafter followed in a number of opinions requiring that the evidence in favor of the appellant be uncontroverted for reversal, an unanticipated result. See, e.g., Pentecost v. Principi, 16 Vet.App. 124, 129 (2002); Ardison v. Brown, 6 Vet.App. 405, 409 (1994).

I am confused. If the court holds that if even though the evidence of record is not is not listed or mentioned it is still considered to have been used in the decision then how can you claim a cue for their failure to review the evidence. seems to be a catch 22 to me or maybe I missed something. Help

Ricky

Guest Morgan

Ricky,

All of the evidence VA receives is supposed to be listed and considered, but VA does not have to discuss each piece of evidence in the reasons and bases for its decision. Remember, VA decides the weight assigned to every piece of evidence. Certain pieces of evidence might offer neither a positive or negative element to the adjudication, therefore would not be discussed in the VA reasons and bases for its decision.

On the other hand, highly probative evidence not discussed--such as clear evidence proving service connection--could be a CUE. Properly considered, such evidence would be discussed because it would bear heavily on the outcome.

Highly probative evidence not discussed in the reasons and basis for a decision should alert a veteran to a possible legal error if reasonable minds would agree that, had it been considered, it would have changed the outcome to the veteran's favor.

CUE is not based on mere interpretation of evidence--the law says that is left to the discretion of the rating team--but ignoring highly probative evidence is a clear and unmistakeable error.

In trying to understand this, it is easy to see why CUEs are hard to win.