VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-combat Related Ptsd Claims

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A stressor need not be combat. I'm surprised more people don't have PTSD from 9/11. I've helped vets win due to typhoon and an MVA. Both are either 100% or TDIU. I have another vet who witnessed a fatal parachute accident and shortly after his military behavior went down the tubes, so far that they discharged him, early. He's still in denial and won't file.

pr

Anyone ever file or know of a non-combat related PTSD compensation claim arising from a serious accident stressor like a car crash, motorcycle accident or military equipment failure etc.? What happened with the claim?

I am currently awaiting my rating decision for PTSD. I have two stressors included in my claim. The first involved a shooting at a military post in Iraq that led to the killing of two civilians. The other stressor was the suicide of my father while I was stationed in Iraq. During the QTC appointment the psychologist talked about both incidents. The majority of the discussion involved the affects of my father's suicde. A rating decision was reached on May 19th but I am still waiting for that magical envelope. I will keep you posted if you would like

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure your father's suicide is going to be considered a stressor for PTSD purpose. That is probably why the QTC doctor focused on it. If you witnessed the killing of the two citizens in Iraq that would be a good stressor. Unless you discovered the suicide of your father I think the VA is going to say this is not a line of duty stressor. I think you need a private doctor to write a report to focus in on the killings you saw. Did you actually witness the killings? Were you close enough to where you might have been killed yourself?

As long as the accident wasn't the result of alcohol or drugs then you can claim it. It's harder to get granted but it can be done. Remember, your doctor would have to write up a letter indicating that your accident in the military caused your PTSD.

Frank

Anyone ever file or know of a non-combat related PTSD compensation claim arising from a serious accident stressor like a car crash, motorcycle accident or military equipment failure etc.? What happened with the claim?

Oh man, just what we need. All veterans filing for PTSD from 9/11. Unless you were there in NY when it happened then I would be hard pressed to see someone getting granted for that.

Do you mean a Vet watching the news covering 9/11 or a vet actually in NY when it's happening. Or a vet with a relative that was injured or killed in 9/11. Sounds vague to think that Vets would be filing for 9/11 just by knowledge of the event.

The VA system is backlogged as it is. This would only hurt other vets that have legitimate claims.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe 3.

Frank

A stressor need not be combat. I'm surprised more people don't have PTSD from 9/11. I've helped vets win due to typhoon and an MVA. Both are either 100% or TDIU. I have another vet who witnessed a fatal parachute accident and shortly after his military behavior went down the tubes, so far that they discharged him, early. He's still in denial and won't file.

pr

Oh man, just what we need. All veterans filing for PTSD from 9/11. Unless you were there in NY when it happened then I would be hard pressed to see someone getting granted for that.

Do you mean a Vet watching the news covering 9/11 or a vet actually in NY when it's happening. Or a vet with a relative that was injured or killed in 9/11. Sounds vague to think that Vets would be filing for 9/11 just by knowledge of the event.

The VA system is backlogged as it is. This would only hurt other vets that have legitimate claims.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe 3.

Frank

Crypto,

You are reading more into it than pr posted.

He posted "I'm surprised more people don't have PTSD from 9/11."

Personally I do not read that as or even referring to,

" All veterans filing for PTSD from 9/11."

carlie