VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Eval

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

I've only recently within the last 7-8 months sought counseling with the VA. I was doing individual and just started group last week. the group leader said that i certainly have ptsd due to mst but she wants to eval me. i havent yet filed my scd claim for it bcuz i am still waiting on my records from st. louis. should i go ahead and do the eval with her? will it make the claim easier/quicker? or should i hold off till i file the claim?

thx,

christy

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As I have learned with much help first file the claim and then line up those ducks!

i certainly will! thanks to all of u for letting me know that....

clw4514, I believe you are well on your way to a sucess story. Don't give up, the people on hadit will lead you in the right direction to get what the government promised . We promised to serve our country and we did proudly, now let the government keep their promise.

Yes, you do need to have all of your ducks in a row before you file!!! Sending in a claim that is incomplete and half-done only to get an earlier effective date is a waste of time and, to me, a reason for some of the backlog in the current system.

Claims like this are looked at....you know they aren't complete, so they are denied, then you are spun into the appeals process. Why would you want to do this to yourself?

Take some extra time, do it right the first time.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Have all of your medical evidence ready the first time and then you will know you have a good claim.

I did this and my claim was approved the first time in well under a year.

I'd never even heard of a NOD until I came here.

clw4514, I believe you are well on your way to a sucess story. Don't give up, the people on hadit will lead you in the right direction to get what the government promised . We promised to serve our country and we did proudly, now let the government keep their promise.

lets hope! all fingers and toes are crossed :unsure:

clw4514 - file your claim now. Waiting will only cost you monetary benefits when you win. The earlier you file the earlier your award date. You have lotsa time to prove your claim, but waiting just causes you to lose money.

pr

Generally, this is good advice but it is not completely accurate. If you are filing a claim within one year of discharge from active duty, your claim will be backdated to the date of discharge whether you file it two days after you get out or 350 days after you get out.

Second, some people have valid reasons for wanting to wait to file a claim. I typically suggest people file right away but if that doesn't work for you for a really good reason, make an "informal" claim. Call the VA 800 number and ask about eligibility for disability benefits. Call from your cellular phone. Keep a record of the call. Make it a lengthy call. Mention disability benefits to your primary care physician and try to get it into the treatment notes. If VA doesn't act on your informal claim and help you to perfect it, you can turn to it later to argue that you are eligible for benefits back to the date of making the informal claim.