VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Eval

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

I've only recently within the last 7-8 months sought counseling with the VA. I was doing individual and just started group last week. the group leader said that i certainly have ptsd due to mst but she wants to eval me. i havent yet filed my scd claim for it bcuz i am still waiting on my records from st. louis. should i go ahead and do the eval with her? will it make the claim easier/quicker? or should i hold off till i file the claim?

thx,

christy

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pete is right, I am seeing a Social Worker for my MST and PTSD and I also see a Psyciatrist. The Psyciatrist will talk to you, and 99.9% agree with what the Social worker states in her notes. They work together. There are not very many psyciatrists available to use that is why we see a Social Worker for sessions and see the psyciatrist for meds. I see my Psyciatrist about every 3 months for 30 min, but I see the Social Worker anywhere from once a week to once a month, depending on how I am feeling. You will probably have to repeat alot of what you say to the Social Worker when you see the Psyciatrist for the first appt, which should be about an hour long, but they will also read all of the Social Worker's notes. Once the psyciatrist puts it all down on paper you are good to go.

Pete is right, I am seeing a Social Worker for my MST and PTSD and I also see a Psyciatrist. The Psyciatrist will talk to you, and 99.9% agree with what the Social worker states in her notes. They work together. There are not very many psyciatrists available to use that is why we see a Social Worker for sessions and see the psyciatrist for meds. I see my Psyciatrist about every 3 months for 30 min, but I see the Social Worker anywhere from once a week to once a month, depending on how I am feeling. You will probably have to repeat alot of what you say to the Social Worker when you see the Psyciatrist for the first appt, which should be about an hour long, but they will also read all of the Social Worker's notes. Once the psyciatrist puts it all down on paper you are good to go.

i dont see a psych. at least not yet. my primary care doc gives me the meds. i see a psychologist once a week and group once a week. so, i have had the good fortune to have 2 long term friends, who happen to be previous coworkers, agree to write buddy letters. one from a personal and one from a professional (he was a supervisor). and i reported my mst to AFOSI so that is documented during active duty. will all of this info and the social worker and psych agree w/ each other, does that pretty much guarantee me scd?

oh, and should the professional and personal letters be written in pretty much the same format?