VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Counseling For Mdd

Rate this question

Izzy

Question

Hello to everyone

The other day I went to an appt with a Mental Health intern, after a while she believe that I was suicidal and called the Psychiatrist at the emergecy room and explained my situation. Iwas taken to the emergency room and after talking with the Psy Doc, and answering all his questions, specially if I had a gun, he decided that I could go home.

He schedule for me to attend a CMHP, and Iwas reading the paper and it says that I should be ready to be there like two to three hours and they encourage me to bring a family member.

The only person that can go with me is my son.

Any advise, should I take my son or should I have my son drive me there and tell them that noone in my family wanted to be with me in such group?

Is this good for my MDD? I will be going to an appt for TBI and PTSD in a week.

Izzy

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The word "intake" suggests either enrollment in a partial hospitalization program or an in-pt program (in my experience). You might want to give them a call and find out exactly what they have planned for you as I've found the VA mental health system has a wonderful way of tap-dancing around this.

I've dealt with 2 separate VAMCs when it comes to being an in-pt for psych reasons; neither were positive experiences. Both facilities threatened to call my family without my permission and tell them everything that was going on with me. This is why I asked you what I did.

Now, having said all of that.....you must take care of yourself if you are feeling suicidal. Get to an ER....any ER! Doesn't have to be the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you go inside as a mental health patient go on weekday. Also, the VA has a way of taking you off all your drugs when you go inside if they are not VA drugs. For instance, if you get pain meds from outside doctor the VA will just let you go into withdrawl while you are behind the green door. I don't see any reason to go as an in-patient unless you are psychotic or suicidal. Just make sure somebody on the outside has your POA and can get you out of the institution. You want to be careful of what you sign as voluntary admission. It can be difficult to get out once you get inside the locked door. I know from experience.

Yup, very true John.....I always made sure I signed in voluntarily (well, except for a couple of times), so that I could always sign myself out. At least that's how Dayton works. If you were signed in in-voluntarily.....well, you were there for the long haul.

Yup, very true John.....I always made sure I signed in voluntarily (well, except for a couple of times), so that I could always sign myself out. At least that's how Dayton works. If you were signed in in-voluntarily.....well, you were there for the long haul.

Thank you so much purple and John :)

I dont want my son to go through any problems or any shocks because of my fault, I am not suicidal so I will be "vewy vewy careful" like Elmer Fudge says when he is after Bugs Bunny.

You guys put is like is a scary movie, please do not take it offensive, for me is an eye wakening. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Izzy

Thank you so much purple and John :)

I dont want my son to go through any problems or any shocks because of my fault, I am not suicidal so I will be "vewy vewy careful" like Elmer Fudge says when he is after Bugs Bunny.

You guys put is like is a scary movie, please do not take it offensive, for me is an eye wakening. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Izzy

Follow up, with Comprehensive Mental Health Program

Well I was very surprise, at first I felt that I was getting the run around because I was told to follow a person then that person did not find a room and I was told to go back to the waiting area, then my vitals were taken by some lady that calls her self an RN but she is the worst RN that I have ever dealt with.

Then things changed, I got a good Psychiatric Dr. and I follow Larry advice to tell her about my stressors and she told me that she would help me but first we needed to build my file. I also had an interview with a psychologist counselor and was very positive, overall it was good.

Thanks for the advice, oh and yes I was given some forms to fill out to have someone sign for me or be responsible for me, which I took home.

Izzy