VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi And Va Question

Rate this question

MissusB

Question

Hey, ya'll. New to the board and I have a question.

My husband is 60% service-connected. He is also receiving SSDI.

He had always heard that if Social Security finds you disabled, you automatically are bumped up to 100% VA disabled. Is that true?

We wanted to go to VA to find out, but we were afraid that if we did, there'd be something similar to concurrent receipt, where they'd cut his VA if they found out he received SSDI.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Something you might do when you file for IU...

Have him, or you for him, write how his disabilities affect working, both physically and mentally. Include how he works around and with others, how it affects lifting, sitting, standing, walking, etc. Mention if the doctor(s) forbids something, pointing it out in the medical evidence.

Research your medications to see if any side effects could be detrimental.

Submit this to the DAV to be included in the application so you have tried to show why you need IU.

Take a look at my website. It might help. It's a free guide on researching, organizing and assembling va claims/appeals. http://www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com/index.html

Good luck and God Bless.

fanaticbooks

Something you might do when you file for IU...

Have him, or you for him, write how his disabilities affect working, both physically and mentally. Include how he works around and with others, how it affects lifting, sitting, standing, walking, etc. Mention if the doctor(s) forbids something, pointing it out in the medical evidence.

Research your medications to see if any side effects could be detrimental.

Submit this to the DAV to be included in the application so you have tried to show why you need IU.

Take a look at my website. It might help. It's a free guide on researching, organizing and assembling va claims/appeals. http://www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com/index.html

Good luck and God Bless.

fanaticbooks

thank you so much!! I read your post to him and he was very appreciative. We are going to go to your website and take a look.

:D B) B)

• HadIt.com Elder
Try to see if your doctor will write up a letter explaining your symptoms and how they affect your employability. The VA will get your SSA records I think so that should help too. They got mine without even informing me. I found out later from my DAV rep.

Billy

That is an excellent idea from Billy.

Here is another site that could help you.....especially figuring out what his job entails (if he worked). This is O*Net Online which is the Dept. of Labor's site for job descriptions (one of them anyway). http://online.onetcenter.org/

If you search and find your job, click on ALL the tabs and you will find not only a job description but a JOB DESCRIPTION! :D

This site lists ALL types of requirements from working with your hands, to climbing ladders, to vision etc. depending on the job title. It covers knowledge, skill, activities, abilities, education, work context, tasks, etc. in great detail.

(My hubby was a meterman. That is located under a general title that I found via electrical. Had to explore but found the right category)

I then took each individual area covered by this description and if he couldn't do it, I listed it and then explained WHY he couldn't do it.

I will admit I used this for SSD not VA but didn't need it for VA. SSD went right through probably because I listed everything he couldn't do and there were no other jobs available for him.

Anyway, maybe this site will make it easier for you to figure out what your job would entail, saving you having to think and think about each little segment.

Good luck.

fanaticbooks

That is an excellent idea from Billy.

Here is another site that could help you.....especially figuring out what his job entails (if he worked). This is O*Net Online which is the Dept. of Labor's site for job descriptions (one of them anyway). http://online.onetcenter.org/

If you search and find your job, click on ALL the tabs and you will find not only a job description but a JOB DESCRIPTION! :D

This site lists ALL types of requirements from working with your hands, to climbing ladders, to vision etc. depending on the job title. It covers knowledge, skill, activities, abilities, education, work context, tasks, etc. in great detail.

(My hubby was a meterman. That is located under a general title that I found via electrical. Had to explore but found the right category)

I then took each individual area covered by this description and if he couldn't do it, I listed it and then explained WHY he couldn't do it.

I will admit I used this for SSD not VA but didn't need it for VA. SSD went right through probably because I listed everything he couldn't do and there were no other jobs available for him.

Anyway, maybe this site will make it easier for you to figure out what your job would entail, saving you having to think and think about each little segment.

Good luck.

fanaticbooks

Thank you so much! I will do that, and that way they won't have any excuse, or try to do like SSDI did when they said he should be able to work, even though he had heart disease, emphysema, COPD, ulnar nerve damage, tendonitis in the knees and insulin-dependant diabetes. Every job he's ever had he was unable to do, and it was so frustrating, because he wants to work and can't.