VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Advice For Vet Father

Rate this question

erax

Question

Father served in the Coast Guard 1960-'66. He was a diesle machanic.

He is 65 and tried to retire but, the money is not there. Due to the loos of my sister his daughter(kids father is in the brig for another 15 years) he is raising 3 teenagers at this time.

His body is giving out he has worked hard all his life and nothing to show for it. My mother works w/ Home Depot but, the wages arn't worth her time, nor do they offer insurance worth a damn... The bills piled up to the point where they had to sell their retirement home that they built ten years ago. Sold Nov. 2005.

He will work himself to death. He never complains and just keeps going forward. I dont want to loose my father this way. His heart is getting weak. His back wont allow him to do what he needs so at times they do with out. I try to help but, my plate is full and and I live 14 hours away ( not to mention my disibilities prevent me from doing much labor)

I feel he needs to get more help from the VA. He has to pay for his meds.............which is crap. They need to take care of him. His loss of hearing is do to the mechanic field MOS in service plus the life he did once discharged.

Sincereley Yours

One Vet To Another

Eric Pareti

100 P&T

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Eric, has he filed a claim for his hearing loss? Also, ask him to write down everything he did in Service. A diesel Mechanic may have been exposed to allot of different chemicals and is also high on the Occupational list for Asbestos exposure for Navy MOS. The actual rating from the Navy is Engineman. Does he have a copy of his service and service medical record, That would be a great place to start. Obtain the copies and Look at them thouroughly. ALso look at his performance evaluations written each year. That will tell exactly what he did during service. Also look for the Presumptive conditions like Hypertension and Diabetes.

Also ask him to get copies of his medical records outside the VA.

Once you establish something file the claim and submit the evidence. He may want to get a Service Organizations assistance. They are good for checking the status of claims.

If he can connect his hearing loss from his MOS while in service then he shoud get a hearing test and claim Tinnitus (Ringing noise and etc in his ears). I was service connected for hearing loss due to service but it was 0% but I got 10 percent for tinnitus. Hope this helps