VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Child Abused By Active Veteran - Ptsd Claim?

Rate this question

Joel4th

Question

While my Father was on Active Duty in Germany, I was 8 years old, and was physically abused, and now am having PTSD symptoms. My father was a Green Beret, with 2 tours in Vietnam and 1 Tour in Korea. He also was involved in espionage in East Berlin, and was awarded a Bronse Star. Due to his high security position he was highly protected from prosecution until he was a civilian. I myself was a Reserve Component member for 8 years with only about one year of Active Duty, all Training Time.

He, my Father, was later Convicted of the Abuse while a civilian, but the abuse occurreed while he was active duty. Also, the Military at that time (1972) clearly threatened my mother regarding her intention to press charges while in Germany, threatening to strand us in Germany if she went forward with charges. Now my Father is 100% disabled due to mental and cardiac issues, and I am unable to function due to panic disorder.

Does any such claim have any merit?

Thanks! in advance, Sincerely, Joel

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

purple - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. A claimant need not give evidence against themselves. If a claimant has medical records/opinions that are less than favorable to them, they need not notify the VA of those records/opinions. One only needs to supply favorable evidence.

In Joel4th's case he may have had a stressor, in the service, that triggered an already existing PTSD, in which case he's aggravated an existing condition, which could make it to be SC'd.

pr

PR-read again.

And "withholding information knowingly" is lying. No other way around it.

• HadIt.com Elder
Joel4th,

I agree, sorry but I do not feel you have no claim for PTSD.

It is absolutely true that a service member can experience a traumatic event

on active duty. Then one day when they are a veteran, begin seeing

a doctor on a regular basis - the doc reliazes the veteran has PTSD due to the

traumatic event/s they discuss. Same veterans continues therapy for say

five years and during that five years the veteran has also mentioned to the

doc that they had gotten in trouble in high school, smoked some weed then,

daddy used to knock them around - skipped school and graduated from

Adult Ed. instead of regular high school.

Now, even though they had a traumatic event/s during active duty and the

doc and additional evidence backs this up - there are many decision makers

that will deny the claim for PTSD stating this person had severe emptional problems prior to AD.

That absolutely is how the VA works.

jmho,

carlie

I agree with you on this one, it's a double edged sword. Many children of Vets with PTSD diagnosed or not probably got knocked around. If that person becomes a Vet with PTSD it's probably tough for the VA to figure out where the nexus began. They don't see this in a theraputic light however, it's more of a "got ya." It's legal for them to do this. It does not make it ethical, or moral. The real problem is treating the Vet and the family through the process. I was lucky since my Dad was on the road most of the time, so my PTSD is my own cross to carry. Many others were not so lucky. We have come a long way in psychiatry in this country, it's just that we don't want to admit there is a problem, embarass the military, and have it cost us any more money than is allocated for war.

• HadIt.com Elder

Heaven forbid that a veteran would not cooperate in his own lynching by VA C&P exam doctor. Just be sure to mention every time you stayed out late as a kid, or took a drink, or smoked a joint, or the times you went to detention for clowing around in school, so the VA can say you are a sociopath. If you don't think they will do that you are living in a dream world. Everyone I knew in Vietnam smoked weed at one time or another. Does that mean they should tell the VA doctor this information, so he can label them as having a drug problem, and then say their problems are due to misconduct?

While my Father was on Active Duty in Germany, I was 8 years old, and was physically abused, and now am having PTSD symptoms. My father was a Green Beret, with 2 tours in Vietnam and 1 Tour in Korea. He also was involved in espionage in East Berlin, and was awarded a Bronse Star. Due to his high security position he was highly protected from prosecution until he was a civilian. I myself was a Reserve Component member for 8 years with only about one year of Active Duty, all Training Time.

He, my Father, was later Convicted of the Abuse while a civilian, but the abuse occurreed while he was active duty. Also, the Military at that time (1972) clearly threatened my mother regarding her intention to press charges while in Germany, threatening to strand us in Germany if she went forward with charges. Now my Father is 100% disabled due to mental and cardiac issues, and I am unable to function due to panic disorder.

Does any such claim have any merit?

Thanks! in advance, Sincerely, Joel

Hey Joel, I just wanted to say I wish you the best. That is going to be a tough one, I wish I could give you advice on this. But I can tell you, your not alone. My Dad beat the hell out of me until I was eighteen. I also suffer from PTSD like symptoms, and I did read that PTSD can come from child abuse, physical or sexual. So hope to hear some good news from you soon.

Good Luck :D

• HadIt.com Elder

According to the schedule for rating disabilities, Only children of Agent Orange Vets who have spina bifida can be comped.

The disability must have been caused on a direct or presumptive basis set forth in the title 38 us code.

There is no chances to get a condition service connected unless the Veteran incurrred it on active dury.

Pre existing conditions cannot be service connected unless your service aggravated it.

J