VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spinal Expertise Needed.

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

Yesterday I was at my doctors, I asked him to do a chest xray and a referal for a PFT in preperation for my asbestosis claim. Anyway I was looking at the chest xray and it seems my spine between my shoulder blades is not strait, it kinda curves. They shoot a 2nd xray and my spine is also curved on that one. I asked the doctor about it and he said yes it was curved but not enough to get him excited. :) (He says my lungs look pretty good but is gonna get em read by radiologist.)

Considering the problem I am having with my claim for my herniated disk http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2635&hl= I got real excited. Isnt there a condition where your muscles spasm and they can mis align your spine to one side or the other?

I am seeing another neurosurgeon in two weeks to get a second opinion on my disk, the first guy wanted to immediatley operate. I think I should take these xrays along with my MRI to this appointment. Is there specific things I need to ask this doctor to document to help my case?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest jstacy

Check out a condition called scoloiosis. It is a curving of the spine. http://www.spineuniverse.com

Where is your herniated disk.?

A neurosurgeon may want to do a procedure called a Myleogram. They inject die into your spinal canal and take CT scan to determine the severity of the Herniation. It is done under strict control of a doctor.

The link below should take you to the C & P Examination Sheet VA examiners are supposed to follow for the spine. You may want to have your physician conduct the same exam.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

Other C & P exams, in case you need them in the future...

http://www.hadit.com/thingstodoatcandp.htm

Scoliosis is measured in degrees. Have you consulted a chiropractor? It wouldn't hurt to do that. My husband's chiropractor is writing up an evaluation for him. The VA measured scoliosis at 5 degrees, whereas the chiropractor measured it at 21 degrees. The VA examiner was a non-Board certified internal medicine doctor.

It may be a good idea to give him the part of 38 CFR Part 4 that deals with rating disabilities of the spine, so he could make a recommendation as to what he believes is the most appropriate rating.

I had a disk fusion @ 3 years ago for 2 hernited disks. Six months after the operation the hardware in my fusion broke. It has been all down hill from that. I have chronic pain, aniexty, gastritis, shooting & aching pain in my extremites. Now I have 3 more herniated disk above and below the fusion, due to my other disks having to over compensate for the fused disks. back. No one can tell me why the hardware broke. With all these problems the VA gave a 20% disability. Did the doctor offer you you any alternatives like lidocain injections in the back or physical therapy? You can also get lidocain patches for pain. ROM is the key to your percentage rating. The VA doesn't care about anything but how far you can turn your head or back. I wish I had tried other treatment types before having the surgery. I go to a chiropractor now and it really helps. It never completely relieves all my pain but, it gives me some relief. Good luck if you decide to have the surgery. Keep us posted on your progress.

My husband's chiropractor is writing up an evaluation for him. The VA measured scoliosis at 5 degrees, whereas the chiropractor measured it at 21 degrees. The VA examiner was a non-Board certified internal medicine doctor.

How much weight does a chiropractors statement carry?

The VA offers chiropractic care, therefore, it recognizes the opinions of chiropractors. Very often, a good chiropractor can help a person either postpone surgery or avoid it altogether. A good chiropractor will also let the person know when surgery is the only option. Take a look at the following:

US Veterans Administration Begins to Offer Chiropractic

The June 25th, 2004 PRNewswire reports that the US Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA), Anthony J. Principi, announced that as of the fall of 2004 US Veterans will be able to receive chiropractic care at 26 selected Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facilities. According to the release, the VA will hire or contract with doctors of chiropractic to provide the care. In consultation with VA primary care providers, doctors of chiropractic will offer patient evaluations and chiropractic care for neuromusculoskeletal conditions.

Secretary Principi stated, "Today, VA makes another significant improvement to the world-class health care we provide for eligible veterans. Veterans who will benefit from chiropractic services will now have the opportunity to receive chiropractic care to restore them to good health."

The release notes that the locations where chiropractic care will be provided include; Togus, Maine; West Haven and Newington, Conn.; Buffalo and the Bronx, N.Y.; Butler, Pa.; Martinsburg, W.Va.; Columbia, S.C.; Augusta, Ga.; Tampa and Miami, Fla.; Mountain Home, Tenn.; Columbus, Ohio; Danville, Ill.; Iron Mountain, Mich.; Kansas City, Kan.; Jackson, Miss.; San Antonio, Temple, and Dallas, Texas; Albuquerque, N.M.; Fort Harrison, Mont.; Seattle, Wash.; Sacramento and Los Angeles, Calif.; and Sioux Falls, S.D.

For those eligible veterans who live in areas distant from these locations, the VA will allow them to receive chiropractic care through VA's outpatient fee-basis program after a referral by their primary care provider and prior authorization by the VA department.

This change came about as a result of the "Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Programs Enhancement Act of 2001" passed by the government several years ago. Implementation is now coming after several years of study on how best to implement the law, and make chiropractic available to veterans in the VA program.