VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Nexus

Rate this question

Phillies44

Question

Hi, I know you guys probably see this question a lot. But I have a claim in for Depression, I was never seen for a C&P for depression. I was told my claim since Nov.08 is at the rating board for the second time. In short, I started to have depression and anxiety in active duty, but I never saw anyone until I was in the reserves years later. The only nexus I have is from the past three years of VA psych. doctors and my reserve unit in 2006 saying I could not be sent to Iraq because of psych. meds.and they were going to try to discharge me. My last GAF was 53 with generalized anxiety disorder. So I guess I am asking is, why no C&P exam for depression and is there enough to connect for my claim? Thanks, your replies would be great.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

my raters triggered the exam for me.then in weeks i was sc'd.

Hi thanks for the reply, what do you mean? You went to a c&p when your raters requested it. In my situation I would think they would have already done that, since my depression has been in since Nov.08. And were you sc'd for depression alone or was it because it is caused by something else, like a previous sc'd disability? Also did you have a nexus or were you seen for depression in active duty? Thanks Jim

It doesn't sound like they have enough for service connection at this point. What region are you working with? Hopefully, they won't just deny your claim and make you go through the NOD process, but I would be ready for it if I were you. It sounds like a long time to set up a C&P exam. It also sounds like your file may have sat on someone's desk for a while and then got shuffled to someone else. Hopefully, they will act on it and set you up for an exam.

Yea i agree with all above... i would try to start seeing a v.a. phy or imo for it and start build up your medical eveidence...trust me you want as much as you can..get family members,freinds,or people from your reserve unit to write or sign something.. they are going to probably sc at first or at a high%..dont give up though...

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you have the basis for a claim. It probably would not hurt if you are denied to get a Doctor to give you an opinon that supports it.

Good Luck

I think that you have the basis for a claim. It probably would not hurt if you are denied to get a Doctor to give you an opinon that supports it.

Good Luck

Thanks guys for the replies, I was told by other vets that I did not have a basis after they heard my story, one even said I was trying to freeload. That made me quite upset that other vets who were mostly 100% would judge me and my claim! I filed following advice from a VA social worker, but anyway I guess I will try to get ready for that denial letter and try to get a IMO. My regional office is in Winston-Salem, NC and they have been pretty good so far. Thanks again and let me know if you have any other comments.