VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Nexus

Rate this question

Phillies44

Question

Hi, I know you guys probably see this question a lot. But I have a claim in for Depression, I was never seen for a C&P for depression. I was told my claim since Nov.08 is at the rating board for the second time. In short, I started to have depression and anxiety in active duty, but I never saw anyone until I was in the reserves years later. The only nexus I have is from the past three years of VA psych. doctors and my reserve unit in 2006 saying I could not be sent to Iraq because of psych. meds.and they were going to try to discharge me. My last GAF was 53 with generalized anxiety disorder. So I guess I am asking is, why no C&P exam for depression and is there enough to connect for my claim? Thanks, your replies would be great.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Have you been discharged yet from the Reserves?

Have you been discharged yet from the Reserves?

Hi Berta. Yes, in Feb 09', it was not medically, just honorable. For the last two years of drill I showed up maybe six times. This was because of the anxiety and depression. They would threaten me with dishonorable I would show up and then I would not show up for months. Finally I just stopped going and I hated to do that, because at one time I considered myself a good soldier. But I just got a honorable.

• HadIt.com Elder

No Veteran has the right to judge whether another Veterans claim is valid. I am 100% and from what you have posted I think that you have a solid claim but the decision will be made by the VA not some Veteran who is collecting their money from the VA.

From the bottom of my heart welcome to Hadit and by all means follow up with your claim. I hope that on Hadit unless you are looking for something that is deniable by Law and Regulation you should do your best to get the benefits you earned by Service,

I believe the reason that you got your honorable is cause the Reserve knew that you were not able to serve. You should get copies of your Military Records, your Personnel File and any treatment info.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Really, the only way to find out if you have a good claim is to file. You are lucky they put you out on honorable rather than cooking up some reason to say you were unfit due to some pre-existing disorder. At least you don't have to fight that battle. If there is stuff in your medical records then I think you have a claim. When were you discharged? Has it been a year?

No Veteran has the right to judge whether another Veterans claim is valid. I am 100% and from what you have posted I think that you have a solid claim but the decision will be made by the VA not some Veteran who is collecting their money from the VA.

From the bottom of my heart welcome to Hadit and by all means follow up with your claim. I hope that on Hadit unless you are looking for something that is deniable by Law and Regulation you should do your best to get the benefits you earned by Service,

I believe the reason that you got your honorable is cause the Reserve knew that you were not able to serve. You should get copies of your Military Records, your Personnel File and any treatment info.

Good Luck

Pete53 I have to say I really appreciated your post! I had found this vet forum and another at the same time about a week ago. I started to post on the other one first. I am new to these forums and claiming process and I posted a very similar post on the same subject there. I really did not want to because I am kind of embarrassed with this mental health stuff and the validity of the claim, but I did, and a bunch of vets jumped all over me. They were being very short and obnoxious, a couple of members even told me the claim was bogus and I am wasting the VA's time and money. One member said I need to stop getting upset and suck it up. They made other comments on that they thought the VA claims were only for vets who got injured physically, which was weird being that I posted on the mental health board. I have felt the same way you feel on claims since I joined and do not think any Vet should question another Vet's claim. I really got angry because a lot of them were questioning my claim and I had read other people's claims where they made more judgemental, negative comments. I was not looking for some pat on the back I just wanted to see if I had enough evidence. So really, thanks for the replies and I am glad I found this site.

• HadIt.com Elder

Phillies:

I really don't care to comment about other sites but TBird made Hadit to help Veterans who were having a difficult time with VA. Almost all who come here share that problem.

I think Hadit is different mainly cause we try to help and I believe that the deck is stacked enough that the time it takes and the VA probably weeds out many more than those who really do not have a claim.

Even here there can be disagreements but we will not allow personal attacks or putting down Veterans trying to get help.

If in fact you do suffer from PTSD you will learn over time that you are not crazy its a mental problem that can be treated and any benefits that you earned should be paid.

I suggest that if you have not done so please read the rules of Hadit and look over the Home Page where a lot of stuff is explained. You can still ask questions.

I wish you the best and I am glad to hear that you feel that Hadit is a good place for you. If you win your claim maybe you can stay here and encourage and help other Veterans.

Good Luck with your claim.

Pete