VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Exam Wrong?

Rate this question

Phillies44

Question

I am trying to be patient, but I wanted to know what others thought. Two weeks ago I had my PTSD c&p exam, it was only twenty minutes and he only asked me basic questions. He only asked me two about combat and the rest were about my daily living and mental status. He gave me a DX of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a GAF of 52. He also put in things I did not say and twisted some things I did say around. He also put that I did not meet the criteria for ptsd. I was wondering how could he come to this conclusion, when he barely saw me for my first ptsd exam? It is almost like he had read my charts and already had a DX for me before he saw me. I feel powerless and wanted to know what do now? Just wait or is there something I could do? Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Who knows how they come up with anything except its pretty well known that VA does not want to grant PTSD claims. Did he connect your anxiety to Service?

Are you working. A 52 GAF is a pretty serious rating in its own right.

Welcome to Hadit

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? Do you know if there exists in there a dx of GAD? Or a dx of PTSD? If there is something written in your SMRs pointing in either direction already that could answer many questions.

As far as GAF scores. I've heard both ways about those....some say the VA uses them, some say the VA employees might use them as lottery numbers, basically they don't mean much. One score by itself might not show much until you show a pattern of consistent scores....but that's just my opinion on what I've noticed over the years...

Who knows how they come up with anything except its pretty well known that VA does not want to grant PTSD claims. Did he connect your anxiety to Service?

Welcome to Hadit

Hello Pete, from what I have read he says nothing about connecting anxiety to the service. But most of my previous VA records state generalized anxiety disorder.And I agree 52 is a low score, but from what I have read on this site that does not matter. No I am not working and have not been working for a while because of these issues. He wrote below my GAF, that veteran has moderate and persistent symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and is not working. Would this evaluation go towards another mental illness or is it good for nothing now that he says I do not have PTSD? Thanks for your reply.

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? Do you know if there exists in there a dx of GAD? Or a dx of PTSD? If there is something written in your SMRs pointing in either direction already that could answer many questions.

As far as GAF scores. I've heard both ways about those....some say the VA uses them, some say the VA employees might use them as lottery numbers, basically they don't mean much. One score by itself might not show much until you show a pattern of consistent scores....but that's just my opinion on what I've noticed over the years...

Hi purple, I just got your reply and thanks. I do not have anything in my active duty SMR records about mental illness. And I have seen on this site that pretty much means denial. I do have some paperwork I sent to the VA about my reserves days, stating I was on medical hold and they were going to discharge me becasue of my psych meds. Also I wrote to Pete about my VA records DX me with generalized anxiety disorder for most of the past three years. Do these count as a nexus? I have also read about that on GAF scores. Thanks again for your feedback.

• HadIt.com Elder

You are going to probably need your own doctor opinion to DX PTSD. I think there is no doubt that these VA doctors are tying not to diagnose PTSD. Every PTSD diagnosis is a failure for American Arms. It means the military is discharging soldiers by the thousands with PTSD instead of treating them. I bet the VA is using some strict criteria to diangose PTSD and if you don't hit all the slots you don't get the diagnosis. There have been maybe 40,000 serious physical injuries in the war on terror. If they count all the PTSD injuries that number increases by 150,000. The present and future costs of these wars is astronomical.

Welcome to Hadit

Thanks guys for your replies. The doctor did not even mention PTSD once during the exam. As soon as I walked in his office, because I never had one before, I asked what is this about? His reply was simply, "nerves." But anyway, I do have my VA records that mostly say GAD for three years now, and in 06' in the reserves it says anxiety. As I have been reading and what you guys told me the GAF score doesn't mean much. That score is pretty low on the scale I have read, but I have not been working for some time now, the symptoms just got too heavy. I honestly do not think I have PTSD, anxiety and depression yes. I did not put in a claim for PTSD, I had one in for depression and told the VARO my story and a couple weeks later they sent me a paper to sign and put it on my claim, I do not know what that is about? If you guys have any input on what you think let me know, please. So I guess the best thing to do is forget about the PTSD, I did see combat in 03', but I think I should get a IMO for anxiety? Let me know and thanks again guys for your replies.