VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating For Depression

Rate this question

sehinchee

Question

How much weight does the GAF score have with the raters? I have been diagnosed with a mood disorder secondary to my SC condition. My GAF score is 48 and I have been put on Venlafaxine. My VSO filed a claim for me, as the diagnosis clearly states that the mood disorder is secondary to my SC condition. Anyone have any idea what I should expect?

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unofficially...Congratulations! Now for TDIU!

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not working than they should award TDIU but don't expect them to do it unless you ask for it and tell them how long and that it is due to your service connected disability.

Congrats and good luck.

If you are still working just do a happy dance.

I am always amazed at how many 70% Vets who don't or can't work do not get TDIU from our friends at the VA

Outstanding! Hope the official letter confirms the 70%. I am in appeal right now. They low balled me with 10% for my depression with GAf scores of 53-60. I am hoping to get to the 50% level for depression so that I can get to at least 90%. Like you, I am still working and hope to be able to keep working. I thnik my depression would get worse if I didn't have a job to go to.

I am curious about the depression info,

I have been vbery sick for 20 years, and am cureently rated at 50% from illness I suffered while working with Jet fuel in the USAF and am currently going for 100% (the first time I did not have a ful diagnosis because all my symptoms baffled the doctors..)..

They kept sending me to the PHsyc's because of my illness and chronic pain. I told them I see no need to go 50 miles sit down sick and complain to docotors about being sick... so they don't send me often. Many years passed and after a 6 months stay in the hospital figghting for my life they sent me to a Phsyc again. But, I still stil not go on a regular bases unless they basically order me to go. Now my Serice Officer who is helping with my new claim said we need to add this to the list on my new claim.

I suppose I am asking, must a Vet whop seeks comp go to a mental health doctor regularly for the claim to be approved? How would any prove they are depressed, or not despressed? If a person is very sick, unable to work, and qulaity of life has been laying in bed sick for many years, is it automatically determined the Vet 'must be' 'as to be' 'is defintely' depressed?

I admit to them I am sick and have no life, but at thr same time I don't go complain to them..

Of course I do thimgs like everyone else,. I have to do things to live, I don't treally do much shopping or go to no events, only doctor appoinments and once in a while the store... and walk the dog...

My wife goes shopping, and cleans... I do some cooking..

I have beern on very stron pain killer narcotics for eons.. along with many others meds, but no drugs for mental health..

So, am I repressed in everyone's eyes? Or am I nuts for not being more depressed..

I got over having to live my life like this many eons ago.. 20 years ago I had to get over the extreme shock of losing everything from no job and having to papply for SSDI and disability.. as I worked like everyone else and never ever thought I would spend the rest of my life suffering in agony and laying in bed.. that shock went a away a very lobg time ago.. but I have to admit.. there is still the why me factor.. and also the factor that when doctors had no diagnosis I was treated as a drug seeker. a kook, and all those things when you cannot get a diagnosis and fall through the cracks.. but I was vindicated many years too late... but at least I got some firm diagnosis.

I could go on, but some of you may understand..

Again, is this the depression that they approve? being honest, I defintely don't ever feel like dancing and haven't for eons and longer.. and couldn't dance If I wanted to..

:angry:

Well,

As it turns out, prior to the C&P exam, I had been seeing a NP instead of a clinical psychologist. At the C&P exam I spoke with a true clinical psychologist who really seemed genuinely concerned for my well being. Of course I got the "how are you doing" question, to which I replied "better that I deserve". The C&P seemed fairly straight forward, I did not ask for her opinion but she said that depression is very common for people suffering from chronic pain. I did get a copy of the progress reports from the meeting with the NP, both have GAF's of 48. She also increased to dosage of venlafaxin.

It is my opinion that if you are diagnosed with an illness and refused treatment, then the VA will look upon it very unfavorably, if you then file for disability for that condition. I have refused treatment for different reasons, and am now wondering if I did the wrong thing.