VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating For Depression

Rate this question

sehinchee

Question

How much weight does the GAF score have with the raters? I have been diagnosed with a mood disorder secondary to my SC condition. My GAF score is 48 and I have been put on Venlafaxine. My VSO filed a claim for me, as the diagnosis clearly states that the mood disorder is secondary to my SC condition. Anyone have any idea what I should expect?

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Get into treatment for your current claim. I have seen veterans get 100 percent with limited therapy, but a good IMO or nexus. As long as you are complying now you'll be alright. Event God can't change he past :angry: :o

Treatment is one of the three legs of a successful VA claim.

Pete53

Please, what are the other two? Have to make sure I got them cover in my claims.Thanks.

68mustang

Retired44:

Your post sure sounds like someone who is depressed and counseling would probably help. The VA looks at it, and so does the medical field in general, that if you have chronic pain and sickness you are probably depressed. You should definitely put in a claim for depression and they will schedule you for C&P. Just tell the truth during the exam. If you don't want monthly treatment, request that you only see the psych every 3 months or so. You can actually set your own appointment schedule by calling and scheduling them when you want.

• HadIt.com Elder

Connected to your service, continuity of treatment and a current diagnosis are the three legs. If one is weak it needs to be shored up by a Medical Opinion or in the case of no treated a plausible reason why not.

Medical History is very important.