VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Welbutrin Advice?

Rate this topic

I've been taking prozac a few years now, quickly got up to 3 20mg's when I wake up at night to get ready for work.

I had an appointment today and told the DR. about how typical it was for me to waste this past 3 day weekend in bed. Had plans, wife had a hotel room in a nearby city to take the granddaughter to the zoo, etc, and I had located a car show to enter for a few hours. I got a little down and blew it all off. Thankfully my wife still took the granddaughter and entertained her.

Without good plans and the stars aligning just right, I can spend a whole week off hardly getting out of bed - I've done it, without even brushing my teeth!

The Dr. says in a week I'll get some welbutrin from the VA, and to take 2 of them with my 3 prozacs.

He said they used to tell everyone to take 1 twice a day but it was too commom to forget.

I'm kind of obsessive about such things and could do it reliably - would that be better?

If I'm "up" at all on a given day, it's at work - stress, aggravation, meeting schedules, etc.

I'd like to have some of that for my off time, also. Major accomplishments for me are often actually showering or watching a tv show sitting upright in the living room instead of flat in bed, securing something to eat. If I have been obsessing about 1 small thing, sometimes I can get up and do it eventually, like changeing the oil in my old truck (I use Amsoil, change it once a year, only drive the Rat Rod show truck a few thousand miles a year).

I would like more out of life, to catch up on the millions of things that need doing.

We pay a local guy monthly to keep our grass mowed, my clean clothes are piled in the bedroom, can hardly see carpet, sit on a clear space or find enough countertop anywhere in the house to sit a glass down at this point.

Anything you can tell me about my upcoming med will be appreciated.

I was wondering if taking one 8 - 12 hours after the first would be better, maybe even splitting my regimen to 2 prozacs/1 welbutrin at my usual wakeup time, 1 of each at the other time.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I've been diagnosed, by the VA, w/ptsd for 20 yrs. Twice I've taken meds and neither time for more than 8-10 wks. The VA is quite content to give you all you need and they will suck the life out of you, if you allow it. I know a number of medicated vets that hardly ever get outta bed. Most of the meds the VA gives us are supposed to be for short term use, usually 12-15 wks, but the VA will prescribe them, for you, year after year. Take them if you need to. I prefer that I feel and deal w/the ups and downs of life but then that's just me. jmo Good luck!

pr

I've been taking prozac a few years now, quickly got up to 3 20mg's when I wake up at night to get ready for work.

I had an appointment today and told the DR. about how typical it was for me to waste this past 3 day weekend in bed. Had plans, wife had a hotel room in a nearby city to take the granddaughter to the zoo, etc, and I had located a car show to enter for a few hours. I got a little down and blew it all off. Thankfully my wife still took the granddaughter and entertained her.

Without good plans and the stars aligning just right, I can spend a whole week off hardly getting out of bed - I've done it, without even brushing my teeth!

The Dr. says in a week I'll get some welbutrin from the VA, and to take 2 of them with my 3 prozacs.

He said they used to tell everyone to take 1 twice a day but it was too commom to forget.

I'm kind of obsessive about such things and could do it reliably - would that be better?

If I'm "up" at all on a given day, it's at work - stress, aggravation, meeting schedules, etc.

I'd like to have some of that for my off time, also. Major accomplishments for me are often actually showering or watching a tv show sitting upright in the living room instead of flat in bed, securing something to eat. If I have been obsessing about 1 small thing, sometimes I can get up and do it eventually, like changeing the oil in my old truck (I use Amsoil, change it once a year, only drive the Rat Rod show truck a few thousand miles a year).

I would like more out of life, to catch up on the millions of things that need doing.

We pay a local guy monthly to keep our grass mowed, my clean clothes are piled in the bedroom, can hardly see carpet, sit on a clear space or find enough countertop anywhere in the house to sit a glass down at this point.

Anything you can tell me about my upcoming med will be appreciated.

I was wondering if taking one 8 - 12 hours after the first would be better, maybe even splitting my regimen to 2 prozacs/1 welbutrin at my usual wakeup time, 1 of each at the other time.

• HadIt.com Elder

They started me on Prozac about 8 years ago............it was a no-go no-show way of life while I was taking them!

Then they tapered me off the Prozac and started me on the Welbutrin. At one time I was taking an "experimental amount" (about 50% more than the largest dose recommended) but that led to some other "difficulties" so they backed me down to the highest dose WITHOUT going into the "experimental" phase.

I've been taking this dosage now for about two years and it, along with my ambien and a couple other drugs keeps me on a pretty level keel.

And, the nice thing about my Welbutrin is the fact that I don't have the terrible nightmares that I once had.

That and the fact that I haven't shot anyone since being put on the Welbutrin.

The Wife is happy, the Sheriff is happy, and I'm tickled shitless!

Thank you, American Taxpayers.

Take the Wellbutrin's whenever you want. The Doc wont care. If you are good about remembering to take your pills, then space them out. The reason the docs dont want you to take a high dose at one time is because there is a risk of seizures when taking a high dose of Wellbutrin all at once. However, there is also a risk of the Veteran forgetting the second dose.

The answer is something that VA wont do. They make an extended release Wellbutrin, but it is not available at the VA because it does not come in generic. (Its all about the money at the VA) The extended release release's the drug slowly through the day and gives you the dose you need without worrying about either forgetting or doubling up and getting a seizure.

Wellbutrin is one of the best anti depressants, but, of course, it does not work for everyone.

Do you have to avoid taking it when you want to sleep in x amount of hours?

I already have problems with that. The Ambien they give me is still pretty effective for me, I just rarely settle down with 8 hours until I need to get up, so instead I lay awake, go in and out.

I get more sleep most weekends just because I stay in bed, but still just in fits and starts.

• 1 month later...
Take the Wellbutrin's whenever you want. The Doc wont care. If you are good about remembering to take your pills, then space them out. The reason the docs dont want you to take a high dose at one time is because there is a risk of seizures when taking a high dose of Wellbutrin all at once. However, there is also a risk of the Veteran forgetting the second dose.

The answer is something that VA wont do. They make an extended release Wellbutrin, but it is not available at the VA because it does not come in generic. (Its all about the money at the VA) The extended release release's the drug slowly through the day and gives you the dose you need without worrying about either forgetting or doubling up and getting a seizure.

Wellbutrin is one of the best anti depressants, but, of course, it does not work for everyone.

I get the brand name Wellbutrin CR through the VA; You have to have a doctor request a consult for you, and them approve it, to get it though.

Boondoc