VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hayden Va And Navaho Nation

Rate this topic

Guest Berta

Guest Berta

My professor just sent me an article on this from the Daily Sun.

It might sound odd to many of you but Native Americans , as veterans, have some distinct cultural

patterns and needs that the VA has recognized in this unique way.

Indians with PTSD often are treated by medicine men and cleansing ceremonies when they are back with their tribes.

The Hayden VA in Pheonix Arizona reimburses medicine men who perform ceremonies and services to alleviate PTSD on the reservation for any VA patient who is affiliated with the Navaho Nation.

Sure makes sense to me-Native Amerindian culture involves a different description of the world that modern psychiatric intervention for PTSD is sometimes at odds with-

AmerIndian men have been raised to be warriors from birth and this factor often makes them unwilling to seek VA's help for PTSD as they think they, culturally, are not supposed to get PTSD.One of my best friends joined the Marine Corps with two other boys (they were the entire reservation graduation class that year),they all went to Nam and he was only one who came back. He knows he has PTSD , has PH -was shot in the back-and would not have to tell the VA too much-(has LOTS of stressors)but still cannot fathom asking the VA for help because he was raised to be a warrior. This unique aspect of VA care in Pheonix, Arizona recognizes this. Wish there was a medicine man here at the local VA for him.

Also the VA recognises that American Indians cannot take statin drugs.

My neighbor, a WWII vet, started limping some time back and the VA asked him his ancestry-for some reason his primary care doc thought he was Asian. When he told the doc his mother was full Cherokee the doctor knew why he developed this limp. American Indians with diabetes cannot take statins as it causes side affects such as the limp. The VA immediately changed his meds and the limp is still there but it is going away.

Edited by Berta

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Guest terrysturgis

Berta, why can't American Indians take the statin drugs? There is 25% American Indian in this Veteran and I am on Lipitor. Should I be concerned? Thanks! Terry Sturgis

Guest Berta

Terry- I dont think the side affects show up in everyone with Indian heritage-

but you sure asked a good question-

Not only did the VA doctor take my neighbor off Simvastin as soon as he knew my neighbor was an Indian- my local vet rep-who is a full blooded Sioux- has a private diabetes expert who treats his DMII from Agent Orange and this doctor told him also that his Indian heritage prevented him getting statin drugs.

I cant seem to find anything on the net yet- but will continue to search for info-

I sure dont think you should worry- the side affect my neighbor had was so sudden that they narrowed it down to the statin right away.

This is odd- two different docs telling two Indian vets I know the same thing about statins- yet I cannot find anything on the net about it-

I will keep looking. Berta

Edited by Berta

Guest terrysturgis

As always, Thanks a Lot! The information you share is a great help to us all. God Bless You. Terry Sturgis

Guest Berta

God Bless you too!! !

I wont give up-will keep trying to find some info on it but apparently you have no side affects at all---

what tribe are you?

I have relatives in the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe.

I guess if this was a real serious problem it would have to say on all the statins not to take if you are Amerindian.