VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Within My Rights To Ask For Higher Power Mri ?

Rate this question

Ufrustrated2

Question

the VA MS clinic is scheduling a new MRI series soon. the doctor said it would only be a 1.0T strength. that is a low power MRI. the MS help groups i go to all said they were scanned with machines much higher such as 3.0T strength. low power machines ofter do not pick up the brain or spinal lesions.

obviously they are not wanting to see if new lesions have formed if they want to use such a low power machine.

my question, is it within my rights to ask the dr that i want the series to be done with a higher strength machine?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I am not positive, I am SC for MS and know TESLA strengths pretty well but 1.0T is pretty awful with lesion detection. I am unsure of you money situation but it might be of use to go private to obtain a proper test. I know it is expensive but maybe you can get a definite dx(tough sometimes) but the money for compensation should pay for it self. Just my very humble opinion and should be used iaw the experts on this site, they know this system alot better and their info should be given more weight than mine. Good luck

the VA MS clinic is scheduling a new MRI series soon. the doctor said it would only be a 1.0T strength. that is a low power MRI. the MS help groups i go to all said they were scanned with machines much higher such as 3.0T strength. low power machines ofter do not pick up the brain or spinal lesions.

obviously they are not wanting to see if new lesions have formed if they want to use such a low power machine.

my question, is it within my rights to ask the dr that i want the series to be done with a higher strength machine?

Hey Ufrustrated2, I do not know if you have tried this, but if you go to va.gov and at the home page you can find a search engine at the top. If you type in multiple sclerosis it will give you tons of information that can maybe help you out. I would demand a 3.0T or higher, so you know it was done right. Good luck

if it is within my right then i will demand a 3.0T machine. that MS clinic now has a diagnosis of "demyelinating disease of the CNS" but doesn't call it MS. you would think they don't want to find new lesions going with a 1.0T machine. i think we know the answer to that.

by demanding a 3.0T machine i didn't want to jeopardize something, but it is the vet's right to do so.

thanks!