VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On A Friend's Claim

Rate this question

mcso111

Question

My friend has a claim for ptsd since 05 and has never had a c&p exam, he called the 1-800 number and they say it isnt neccessary to have one if they have enough evidence to rate it. which of course the claim was denied. can anyone help explain this to me I thought it was a protocal or something for being rated.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It is Very unusual for him not to get a C & P.

I bet the decision he got will reveal the reason why.

I agree with Berta, the Rating Decision that denied

the claim will state why it is denied in the

Reasons and Bases Section.

Does your friend have a current dagnosis of PTSD

by either a Psychiatrist or Psychologist in writing ?

carlie

Yes my friend has a civilian dr's statement and also the v.a. system pysh dr.'s and councilers statement or reports, he has had a GAF score of 58 ever since his intital claim in 05 but never had a c&p, I told him that it was unusuall that they had never set him up with a c&p, his claim is in the hands of a DRO and of course he is unable to scheduale one for his claim so I guess we will wait for the denile again. just recently with in last month or two he has gotten his local congresswoman involved but still no progress.

I would resubmit the claim with the new evidence from civilian doc and ask for hearing. Is your friend working?

I told him that it was unusuall that they had never set him up with a c&p, his claim is in the hands of a DRO and of course he is unable to scheduale one for his claim so I guess we will wait for the denile again.

mcso,

YES, the DRO surely does have full authority to request a C&P examination for the claimant --

prior to the DRO promulgating a Rating Decision.

If your friend has not submitted a request for an examination I would do so immediately.

If he still does not get a C&P prior to the DRO - then (I hope he has requested a DRO hearing)

he needs to request an examination and why he feels entitled to the examination,on record, during the DRO hearing.

jmho,

carlie

<H5 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: skip">b. DRO Duties</H5>The table below lists the duties of a DRO.

Notes:

· The DRO is a member of the Appeals Team but is under the direct supervision of the Veterans Service Center Manager (VSCM) or assistant VSCM. The Appeals Team Coach may assign work to the DRO.

· The composition of the local appeals team may vary. At some ROs, the team may consist of only DROs, while at others, it may include

- DROs

- RVSRs

- VSRs, and

- Claims Assistants.

Duty

Description

Hold informal conferences and formal hearings.

Evaluate the evidence of record including the need for additional evidence as a result of information obtained during the hearing.

Make a decision.

Make direct contact with appellants and their representatives.

If he has civilian PTSD treatment records-they might not need a C & P- thanks for clarification there-

Has his service nexus been the problem?