VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostatectomy But Still Need Radiation

Rate this question

Tiki

Question

Thanks to HADIT for being here for us.

I served in Viet Nam in 1968 and developed aggressive prostate cancer in '08. I filed February of '08 and the prostate was removed in early March '08.

After reading HADIT, I also filed for PTSD in August of '08, so as I have learned, that slowed down my claim. Also my original state Vet Rep retired and I had to get a new one, which has also has delayed my claim. I wish I had known about HADIT before I filed; I could have saved myself a lot of grief.

I had my C&P for prostate March 25 '09, no result yet (I know the delays are my fault for not knowing the system - just had the C&P for PTSD so I know the VARO in NY doesn't even have my file back yet). The cancer cells are not completely gone. My doctor says I will need radiation. PSA has gone from .037 on 6/08 to .062 recently. I asked my state Vet Rep, who filed for me, if I was elegible for the retroactive 100% temporary rating from Feb '08 when I filed, until such time as my PSA goes down and he said that he didn't know. I'm hoping someone here will be able to give me and anyone else with this question an answer.

Bless you all for the help you give.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is what my uroligist told me:

If you get SC, then you would receive 100% for 6 months, and then dropped to 30%. If you have to go through radiation or chemo, it goes back to 100% until they get a handle on it. But it will always remain at least 30% because of the possibility of cancer returning. Plus you can receive an extra 90$-100$, for losing a creative organ. I'm still trying to get mine SC. So I keep my claim open, just in case.

This is what my uroligist told me:

If you get SC, then you would receive 100% for 6 months, and then dropped to 30%. If you have to go through radiation or chemo, it goes back to 100% until they get a handle on it. But it will always remain at least 30% because of the possibility of cancer returning. Plus you can receive an extra 90$-100$, for losing a creative organ. I'm still trying to get mine SC. So I keep my claim open, just in case.

Thanks Seadog. In correspondence they acknowlege SC as I was in country for a year.

Is your urologist a VA doctor? I have leakage and frequency issues too which I believe are determining factors re compensation. My main question was is the 100% rating in effect from date of filing to present since the cancer has never left me completely and I go soon for radiation. You said it goes back to 100% which means they would have reduced it after 6 months.

Good luck on your claim. I read somewhere that if you were within a certain number of miles off the coast on a vessel they would grant SC.

I am 100% temporary for prostate cancer. Have had surgery , radiation, and hormonal treatments. Now my psa has steadily risen. My question is I give my private labwork to my primary at the VA clinic showing this increases. Does the VA have access to this information in determining my next C and P exam whenever that happens? I know my first C and P exam the doctor did not have any information about my aggressive cancer. My private oncologist says to wait awhile before going back on hormonal treatment since you can only go on it a limited number of times and the cancer finds a way around it and wins. The last letter I received from the VA said they would evaluate me last July which they did not. Should I contact them or just wait to hear from them? No news is good news?

Peace,

Cuchi

My point of view since I am

12 (1997) years post prostate cancer surgery

11 (1998) radiation treatment of 35 or 7.5 weeks

2004~2008 two different protocols at NIH Bethesda MD PSA checked every month at NIH

Hormonal treatment on going with Leuprolide that I have been responding well with reoccurring prostate cancer

My Point never go longer than six months without a PSA test.

Checkout this address and enter Prostate Cancer

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/

Ken

• HadIt.com Elder

Guys,

I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a question in your thread.

I know this is a personal question, but I am almost at the breaking point.

How do I start, My husband was diagnosed with postate cancer March 2008 by way of

a biopsy by his private Urologist. He is a Vietnam Era Veteran, but in Gitmo.

He began radiation treatment 43 of them the beginning of June 2008.

I know the Radiologist Oncologist said his last 10 treatments would be a larger dose.

In the middle of the treatments the radiation caused his heart to go back into its' A-fib with

Flutter.

His heart beat was at 138 beats a minute and higher.

He finished all the radiation in October 2008 and then in December 2008

He went into the hospital for a heart conversion to regulate his heart, which at this time is

holding.

Just when I thought our life could get back to normal in June 2009, 8 months after the

radiation, he began to spot blood.

As the days passed the amount of blood has increased to severe bleeding from his rectum.

February 2009, he had a Colonoscopy just for safe measure. This would be 4 months

before the bleeding started. August 2008. a Surgeon used a scope to investigate. Said nothing

serious. just the radiation left the tissue and blood vessels irritated.

Has anyone you know experienced anything like this?

I have just about researched out and can find no answers.

Seems as though surgery is out of the question.

If anyone can help me, please do.

Always,

Betty

Edited by Josephine

Josephine,

Sorry to say, I have not experienced any radiation therapy for prostate cancer. To the others, how it works is this way. From time of treatment to maximum improvement (usually 6 months, but can be extended by VA). After improvement, you are rated on "residuals", that is leakage (number of pads used per day), other appliances needed, frequency including night time etc. Sometimes after a radical prostatectomy, radiation is called for. Five years ago, I had my prostate removed (dont' forget SMK for loss of organ additional $96.00 a month I believe). Since then and related to cancer/surgery my bladder is gone. I had to have a continent urinary bypass where they take a section of your colon and make a new "bladder". You then have to cathaterize yourself through the navel. It was about a 14 hour operation and a stay in VA hospital. I have applied for another "smk" for loss of use of the bladder.

After my experience with the prostate, I'd reccomend the radiation implants prior to any surgery. No matter what the doc says, you're never the same after surgery. Radiation can drain you and make you so sick and cause other problems like Josephine described. Good luck to all.

Remember prostate cancer is a presumptive of Agent Orange exposure and if you were boots on the ground in Nam, it's service connected. Try to find a VA that has a good urologist. I have gone to Portland Oregon where the urologists are also professors at the local Oregon Health University. I tried to get help at Spokane VA and the urologists hadn't done any of the surgeries I needed and they tried to convince me that there was nothing they could do to help. I had to dig on my own to find a decent VAMC that could help.