VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Replacement Gone South

Rate this question

SFCMoore

Question

Greetings; I am rated @ 90% w/one condition being a total knee replacement - 2 years old. Bottom line is that the process did not work. I have constant pain and walk with a cane. It is also causing my left knee to have pain and discomfort. I am due to have a Dr. appointment this month and need to ask anyone w/this condition - do they do it over or make a brace or what. I have a feeling that nothing will happen just like the treatment after the operation. Any suggestions - put in for an upgrade in the VA benefit for the knee? What would I have to prove? Anyone go thru this a second time?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

they will proably do it over again but be careful you might have a loose appliance inside .i had 2 opns.n my right knee and only have a rom of 75%

Greetings; I am rated @ 90% w/one condition being a total knee replacement - 2 years old. Bottom line is that the process did not work. I have constant pain and walk with a cane. It is also causing my left knee to have pain and discomfort. I am due to have a Dr. appointment this month and need to ask anyone w/this condition - do they do it over or make a brace or what. I have a feeling that nothing will happen just like the treatment after the operation. Any suggestions - put in for an upgrade in the VA benefit for the knee? What would I have to prove? Anyone go thru this a second time?

I have to wonder. What kind of shape were youall in before the operations? My doctor said I should have both knees total replacements. But, because of my age (53) they want to wait about 5 years so hopefully they'll only have to do it once. ;)

But, and this is the point of my question, you all are describing my conditions minus surgery and complaining about it like it was something new. ROM 75%? I should be so lucky.

I cannot stand, walk or pursue any activity for very long. My knees ache constantly, they grind, crunch and swell. They alternately lock up and give way. Any torquing of my knees and I am in agony and going to fall. I have to use a cane in the house, a walker for larger areas like the VA hospital, and a scooter out of doors. I am going through my second round of injections in both knees, once a week 3 weeks running. Pain is a constant and I take meds by the handfull just to keep it that way.

All this and I have not had the surgery. In spite of both of your misfortunes, my condition is such I would gladly risk it. It sounds as if I'd be no worse off than I am now... :huh:

I had a total knee replacement in December of 06 at 40 years old. I am presently rated at 30%, which is the minimum rating for a TKR. You must understand that TKR are never advertised as a perfect solution. I still have some pain, swelling, and instability, but the osteoarthritis pain is gone. I NOD’d (which I have attached) the initial claim and asked for a higher rating, but had no success. I sent in letters from co-workers as well as my doctor and wife, all to no avail. In the denial the VA stated that the lay evidence was credible, but they needed objective proof (i.e test results, x-rays) to increase my rating. I would not let them do a second replacement unless absolutely necessary because the chances of success drop drastically with each successive replacement.

NOTICE_OF_DISAGREEMENT1.pdf

Thank you all very much for your help. The NOD in one post was well written and I most likely will use it. I will keep you posted if it works or not. Just a FYI may help in the NOD is I now have a hip problem as well as additional back pain. I already am rated for the back 20% but the limp causes additional pain. I will take into advisement about the loose hardware possibility as noted on another post.

I had both knees replaced(at same time-ouch) in 2006.Both are service connected.I have tried for an increase from 30% each,but have been denied.I continue to have problems with severe pain,limited mobility,etc.It took much longer to rehab than what the Doctor said or the VA allowed(12 months).I don't know how to go about getting the 30% increased,as I thought I presented good evidence,but they turned me down the first time.I know that long,painful rehab,exercise,seemed to help me-but problems persist.I will try agian for an increase in the future,as the minimum is 30%and I know mine is more limiting than that.Good luck.

I would put in for an increase due to the pain and swelling. I am in the same situation, I too have had a TKR and have had complications and a second surgery with no success or relief of pain or swelling. The regulations (u.s.c. title 38) states that if you have painful complications you are entitled to a rating of 60%.