VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100%

Rate this question

Gulfvet

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Not working will tear at a man's soul. I would love to be able to work but due to my mental disorder I have been determined by my psych to be unemployable. I currently have a claim for UI and I haven't worked since May 2007. I have an exam at the end of this month so see how that goes. I currently receive SSDI plus 40% VA SC. Not hardly enough to live a normal life.

Frank

Absolutely, but look for being re-evaluated frequently. They put you in the system then check social security, call you in cut you and make you fight to get it back.

I worked 21 years was cut from100% to 40% one time. was employed Fed all the time kept telling the reviewers I was not drawing disability for unemployability but for disability. Good luck.

Ausgmblr

yes worked 21 years count on being re-evaluated often. Kept telling them I was drawing my 100% for disability not unemployability. Cut to 40% one time with condition unchanged, back to old battle, get back up get cut, fight back.

Just be prepared to live on the decreased income then the nice arrearage check.

If it's other than unemployability it's just more frequent re-evaluations and new evidence nothing has changed or is worse.

ausgmblr

That sucks, but you got your 100% again, right?

• HadIt.com Elder

there are a lot of 100% vets working at the Post Office but none of them rated for mental health problems, they are mostly clerks or supervisors, but just after I left the local Postmaster made them all go get letters from their doctors that they could physically do their jobs without limitations, and if they couldn't get those letters he terminated them.... I never did hear how their appeals worked out I moved out of state....

• HadIt.com Elder

I advise everyone to live within their means. If you do this then the transition will be easier.

It is not the working part that effects the Vet. it is the period of inactivity and boredom that eats away at you.

You feel unimportant and kind of shoved out of society and you feel like a 2nd class citizen.

Now for the good news.

Find something you are passionate about and do it. Hobby or anything that occupies your time.

Fishing is actually a prescribed therapy. (Bassmaster Magazine June 2009)

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I saw a film the other day that Voc Rehab says and employer must make reasonable accommodations to keep Veterans working.