VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Being A Disabled Veteran

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

The other day I had a bad toothache. Being unemployed and with no health insurance, I turned to the VA Medical Center in Philadelphia. It would be my first time testing out the treatment on other things that were not directely related to my service connection.

After arriving, I witnessed the same old circus at the lobby and the clerk sent me around to various stations.

I finally got up to the Dental Clinic, waited, and waited again while in pain. I finally got x-rayed, then examined, and the young dentist told me the tooth needed to come out, but it had to be after lunch.

He also mentioned that I should come back and get the rest of the other things taken care of since it will be covered.

The tooth eventually got yanked 5 hrs after first checked in. I then had to wait in line for my meds.

My point is, though I've waited for awhile and had no private insurance. Uncle Sam did eventually took care of me. It is a benefit that most other Americans would love to have. For as much as I hate dealing with the VA, this, I am grateful.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You get dental benefits if you are 100% or IU or your dental is SC. Otherwise they just pull the teeth in an emergency. They will still charge you unless you just got out of the service.

• HadIt.com Elder
Did you say implants? Like the permanent type that are put into your jaw bone?? If so, let me tell you how much those cost in the real world because my son is having to have that done.

Just the implant is $1,600

The crown is $900

...that is per tooth.

If you need a bone graft procedure to build up the surrounding bone material...that can cost an additional $500-$800.

Does anyone know if the VA will pay for dental implants for me 100% SC and for

husband.

Thanks,

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

Josephine:

The chances of getting implants from VA Dentist in Dallas is somewhere between slim and none. Your Dentist has to recommend them first and than a committee of VA stooges decide. I have never met a Vet yet in Dallas that got implants at Dallas VA.

Reasons that they use to turn down

Smoking

Diabetes

Gum Disease

Their assessment if you will keep your motuh clean after you have them

Bone loss

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

The Tampa VAMC dental turned me down for an implant. They said I would never miss that tooth. My dentist on the outside said that was BS, and that if I did not get the implant I would lose the opposing tooth. They are just cheap bastards and that is all there is to it.

This is why I've asked iraqx2, twice how he got the Dental benefit.

His profile only shows 80 % SC.

Going thru past post he's been out way longer than 90 days.

All I can figure is:

1) he has a SC'd dental disability - OR

2) his PCP has requested dental treatment to treat something

that is aggravating a SC'd disability - OR

3) He is in the Vocational Rehab Program

I have a feeling it is # 3.

carlie