VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Being A Disabled Veteran

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

The other day I had a bad toothache. Being unemployed and with no health insurance, I turned to the VA Medical Center in Philadelphia. It would be my first time testing out the treatment on other things that were not directely related to my service connection.

After arriving, I witnessed the same old circus at the lobby and the clerk sent me around to various stations.

I finally got up to the Dental Clinic, waited, and waited again while in pain. I finally got x-rayed, then examined, and the young dentist told me the tooth needed to come out, but it had to be after lunch.

He also mentioned that I should come back and get the rest of the other things taken care of since it will be covered.

The tooth eventually got yanked 5 hrs after first checked in. I then had to wait in line for my meds.

My point is, though I've waited for awhile and had no private insurance. Uncle Sam did eventually took care of me. It is a benefit that most other Americans would love to have. For as much as I hate dealing with the VA, this, I am grateful.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

they are giving me a hard time getting dentures forget implants and I am 100% I can't see the VA doing implants when they give vets a hard time just getting plates made

Testvet-

Go over their head. Don't take "no" for an answer. File a complaint via the IRIS system...contact your Congressperson, get the pt advocate involved...all of it.

Implants are very expensive and I'd be shocked if the VA paid for those as well when the lesser expensive alternative is a bridge.

I was shocked a few years ago though when the Dayton VAMC dental clinic paid for me to have a gold...yup gold crown! The dentist said it would hold up better over time. Wow.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Dentists I have had work on me at VA have always been on my side. Its the damn VA that makes things so difficult

I had surgury on my face to get a basal cell carcinoma removed. It would have cost me $3200 but the VA paid in full and it wasn't S/C. I guess the VA does pay for certain things even though they aren't S/C. I was on VocRehab though so maybe that's why it was covered. Not sure but was happy to get it done and over with.

Frank

The other day I had a bad toothache. Being unemployed and with no health insurance, I turned to the VA Medical Center in Philadelphia. It would be my first time testing out the treatment on other things that were not directely related to my service connection.

After arriving, I witnessed the same old circus at the lobby and the clerk sent me around to various stations.

I finally got up to the Dental Clinic, waited, and waited again while in pain. I finally got x-rayed, then examined, and the young dentist told me the tooth needed to come out, but it had to be after lunch.

He also mentioned that I should come back and get the rest of the other things taken care of since it will be covered.

The tooth eventually got yanked 5 hrs after first checked in. I then had to wait in line for my meds.

My point is, though I've waited for awhile and had no private insurance. Uncle Sam did eventually took care of me. It is a benefit that most other Americans would love to have. For as much as I hate dealing with the VA, this, I am grateful.

I thought they would do dental emergencies if it could impact your overall health.. I think an abcess( sp?) would be serious, that infection can spread easily.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA preaches about oral health but they won't pay a dime unless you are SC'ed for your teeth or 100%. I am TDIU. I am told I am entitled to one dental exam every two years. That is not acceptable. I paid for my own implant....$3000. You cannot put a brige unless you have something to hang it off and this was a back molar with an opposing molar. Every civilian dentist I talked to said I need to get an implant if I wanted to save the opposing molar. I think I will just go back to my civlian dentist for an exam. I am not waiting two years or until I have a toothache. I thought the VA was big on prevention? No, I think they are big at evasion.