VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I applied for Voc Rehab to get Independent Living to hopefully remodel bathroom from sunken tub to a walk in shower. Started out rather badly when I got an assessment letter and a group appointment. I got an email and told the Chancellor that all I wanted was Independent Living.

They were pretty nice but I had to take all the tests. They made us watch a film and they had some scenarios where actors preteded that they were Veterans who were Service Connected and how Voc Rehab could help them.

One of the scenes a Marine meets a buddy at a barber shop they recognize each other and now get this. He said he got out for medical after 16 years and VA Service Connected him in 2 weeks. He was out 3 weeks and already was being paid? I started laughing so hard I almost hurt myself. Once of the Councilors asked me how long t took me and I told her over 5 years after I was awarded Social Security for same connections.

I also noticed that OIF Veterans were put in front of all the other Vets and had a big red block pasted on their file

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I applied for Voc Rehab to get Independent Living to hopefully remodel bathroom from sunken tub to a walk in shower. Started out rather badly when I got an assessment letter and a group appointment. I got an email and told the Chancellor that all I wanted was Independent Living.

They were pretty nice but I had to take all the tests. They made us watch a film and they had some scenarios where actors preteded that they were Veterans who were Service Connected and how Voc Rehab could help them.

One of the scenes a Marine meets a buddy at a barber shop they recognize each other and now get this. He said he got out for medical after 16 years and VA Service Connected him in 2 weeks. He was out 3 weeks and already was being paid? I started laughing so hard I almost hurt myself. Once of the Councilors asked me how long t took me and I told her over 5 years after I was awarded Social Security for same connections.

I also noticed that OIF Veterans were put in front of all the other Vets and had a big red block pasted on their file

Pete after what 3 years they finally sent a contractor out to my house I think I bought this place in June 2006 right after I was awarded my 100% and got that big back pay check the ILP program got me the computer, the camera, and a photo printer as a hobby I can take pics from the power chair they were supposed to help remodel the bathrooms then well I kept after the account manager and they sent a guy out last year to see what they could do to make the house easier for me to live in

they came out a month or 2 ago and took out the glass enclosure that made it almost impossible for me to use the shower and put up a shower curtain and hand rails on 2 sides of the tub and they were supposed to get me a shower stool or one of those electric seats but they didn't do either so I have sent off an e mail to the guy and asked him whats up?

Some time you need to stay on them like a dirty diaper on a baby and some times you just need to wait I love the ILP program though but I have never asked them for a new pool or any thing like that either rofl

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks but right now I have it on the back burner. I will call and request another copy of my records as since she has not said no I am pretty sure it is still open.

I know I can get the rails put in pretty easy and I bough my own stool which has been a big help.

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm on ILP and have gotten a new apple computer, new staneless steel pots and pans, new flat panel tv, massage chair, and new orthopedic mattress. ILP has been good to me.

Jerr

I have 8 TVs now and the massage chair would actually cause me pain in my back but they did get me an othopedic mattress set 2 years ago I forgot that sorry I would have never thought to ask them to buy pots and pans rofl I don't cook the wife does I microwave stuff