VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I applied for Voc Rehab to get Independent Living to hopefully remodel bathroom from sunken tub to a walk in shower. Started out rather badly when I got an assessment letter and a group appointment. I got an email and told the Chancellor that all I wanted was Independent Living.

They were pretty nice but I had to take all the tests. They made us watch a film and they had some scenarios where actors preteded that they were Veterans who were Service Connected and how Voc Rehab could help them.

One of the scenes a Marine meets a buddy at a barber shop they recognize each other and now get this. He said he got out for medical after 16 years and VA Service Connected him in 2 weeks. He was out 3 weeks and already was being paid? I started laughing so hard I almost hurt myself. Once of the Councilors asked me how long t took me and I told her over 5 years after I was awarded Social Security for same connections.

I also noticed that OIF Veterans were put in front of all the other Vets and had a big red block pasted on their file

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I got a call yesterday, Sunday, saying they have scheduled an appointment for my home visit on Feb 6. This is a Saturday.

Why would they do home visits on a Saturday? I also found it odd they would call me Sunday morning to tell me this.

Anyone here ever had this happen?

Jerr

Can independent living help me start a business to help disable veterans. Maybe a 4 unit apartments to help 4 veterans.... Can someone help me? Thanks you

• HadIt.com Elder

Maurice:

I don't think Independent Living will do that but you should try the Small Business Loan who have special help for disabled Veterans.

Jerr

They usually send out an independent contractor and the person may be a moon lighter. If it really bothers you call the person who is helping you and ask your question

• HadIt.com Elder

[i got a call yesterday, Sunday, saying they have scheduled an appointment for my home visit on Feb 6. This is a Saturday.

Why would they do home visits on a Saturday? I also found it odd they would call me Sunday morning to tell me this.

Anyone here ever had this happen?

Jerr]

Jerrbilly,

Voc rehab contracts out to evaluators who determine your ILS needs. In Washington state they have one for the entire eastern half of the state. He travels hundreds of miles making his rounds. He may be at another vets home on Friday & be several hundred miles back to his home, so getting in to see you on Saturday would save him another trip all the way back to your place on a later date. Some states may only have one.

Saturday seems odd to me, but these people really put some miles on trying to get out to every one so this may be one reason for a Saturday appointment at your home.

Maurice,

here's a few links to check out.

Office of Small And Disadvantaged Business Utilization Home

http://www4.va.gov/osdbu/

Center for Veterans Enterprise

http://www.vetbiz.gov/

Veteran Entrepreneurs - Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization

http://www4.va.gov/osdbu/veteran/