VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I applied for Voc Rehab to get Independent Living to hopefully remodel bathroom from sunken tub to a walk in shower. Started out rather badly when I got an assessment letter and a group appointment. I got an email and told the Chancellor that all I wanted was Independent Living.

They were pretty nice but I had to take all the tests. They made us watch a film and they had some scenarios where actors preteded that they were Veterans who were Service Connected and how Voc Rehab could help them.

One of the scenes a Marine meets a buddy at a barber shop they recognize each other and now get this. He said he got out for medical after 16 years and VA Service Connected him in 2 weeks. He was out 3 weeks and already was being paid? I started laughing so hard I almost hurt myself. Once of the Councilors asked me how long t took me and I told her over 5 years after I was awarded Social Security for same connections.

I also noticed that OIF Veterans were put in front of all the other Vets and had a big red block pasted on their file

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I emailed my Counselor today about this. It doesn't really bother me, just thought it was kind of odd I would get a call at 10:30am on a Sunday informing me of an appointment that will be on a Saturday. The guy said it would be about an hour and half.

jerr

Maurice:

Jerr

They usually send out an independent contractor and the person may be a moon lighter. If it really bothers you call the person who is helping you and ask your question

I'm a long time reader but this is my official first post!!

What should I expect for the in home assessment? Will he be taking pictures? Questionaire? What can I ask for? I've read that people rec'd flat screen tv's, computer, beds, massage chair....etc.

I'm currently rated 40% for lower lumbar and 30% for lower left leg, plus multiple scars rated at 10%....I'm currently awaiting a decision from the rating board for IU....it's currently at the rating board, or so the 800 number says it is!

Thanks in advance!!

HI Carlie I found the regs about the $25,000 limit for the ILP Program

THe regs are in M28, Part IV, subpart iv, Chapter 9

Te limit is $25,000 approved by case managers, 25K to 75K at regional level, 75K and over at national DC level.

You can see teh bit about 25K written just above OPTIONAL JOB AID below:

1. Guidelines for the Administration of an Independent Living Plan, Continued

c. SOP for the IL Plan (continued)

Job Aids/Tools/Documents/Resources/Activities

References/Regulations

D. Develop an Individualized Independent Living Plan (IILP) with objectives and services that address identified IL needs.

Ensure the objectives

· specifically address all identified IL needs

· include specific expected outcomes that are

- measurable

- verifiable, and

- sustainable, and

· facilitate a successful outcome.

Obtain appropriate approval for program costs if they exceed $25,000 limit for case managers.

Optional Job Aid

IL Needs Assessment and Planning Matrix (28-0787)

CWINRS Activity

Enter essential elements of the plan by updating Claims Disposition Tab and Rehabilitation Plan tab.

Note: Services provided under an IILP may not exceed 24 months without VR&E Officer approval.

Title 38, USC, Chapter 31

Section 3101 (Definitions), 3104 (Scope of services and assistance), 3120 (Program of independent living services and assistance)

38 CFR

21.76 (Independent living), 21.90 (Individualized independent living plan), 21.162 (Participation in a program of independent living services)

M28-1, Part II, Chapter 8, Change 7

Paragraph 8.01 (Introduction), 8.08 (Procurement of Services), 8.10 (Role of the Counseling Psychologist), 8.12 (Individualized Independent Living Program),

28.IV.iv.2.E Vocational Rehabilitation Panel

28.IV.iii.5 (Evaluations for persons with TBI)

CRCC Code of Ethics

A-1, A-2, A-3, Section B, C-1, C-2, Section F

E. Submit the IILP and FL 28-520, IL Plan Approval Request, to the VR&E Officer for concurrence prior to any parties signing the plan or authorizing any IL services included in the plan.

Title 38, USC, Chapter 31

Section 3101 (Definitions)

38 CFR

21.162 (Participation in a program of independent living services)

Continued on next page

Jerr,

Thanks for the post.

Do you have a link to the above information ?

Thanks,

carlie