VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Rating For Depression Today

Rate this question

erico541

Question

i telephoned the va today ,they rated my claim for depression...thank goodness that is over.they rated me at 50% that puts me at 92% or 170% by non va math. i am currently trying to do voc re-hab as i really need help finding something i can do. they are good f olks here in oregon. my question is may i apply for 100 iu as i have not worked since february, until i start their program?or start to work? thanks for any advice god bless AMERICA

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

And, may G-d bless you.

If you cannot work due to service connected disability, then you are certainly due your TDIU.

But, I do not know how that would work, if your were, in fact, going through voc-rehab to develop the skills necessary for you to find work.....because IF you do complete voc-rehab and become employed.....then you obviously are not TDIU (totally disabled due to individual unemployability).

Some other folks on here will have an answer I'm sure.

But, as I said, may G-d bless you for continuing to try.

larry thanks for the reply i have read your posts and consider you a wise person. i want to work though i have times i wont go outside. i want ..really bad.. to be ok again. the fellow at the voc re-hab said he would write a letter on my behalf if this does not workout with them, so i can receive tdiu i understand what you are saying thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have a job to go to since you have not worked since February?

If not I would file for the TDIU.

This is just my opinion.

I know you don't like to think of not working, but sometimes you have to give it up.

Just my opinion.

Betty

I agree with Larry, but still have serious doubts about Larrys hat. I recommend go ahead and apply for IU while undergoing voc rehab. Reason:

1. If Voc Rehab is successful, and you land a job, it may well be a couple years down the road, and you can always "drop" IU if you get employment, but it still may be possible to collect it while not employed.

2. If Voc rehab is unsuccessfu, that is, it does not lead to employment, then you will be way ahead of the game in two ways: First, it takes several years for the VA to "process" IU claims (dont believe their six month jargon..that is stuff they make up for congress), and you shouldnt have to starve forever. Second, applying now preserves your claim date, and entitles you to retro pay if/when you are successful.

Note the VA math "hits you again". If rated at 90% you wont get 90% of $2673 (Single Veteran) but rather you will get 60% of $2673 or $1604. The VA math says that

90% =60%, because if it really WERE 90%, then you would get 90% of $2673 or $2405. Instead, you will get "VA mathed" (that is, cheated) out of $801 per month. Do the math, and look at 100% rate, and you will see what I mean.

• HadIt.com Elder

the downside to applying for TDIU is that many times Voc Rehab will decide that since you are unemployable that further education is a waste of VA resources, my ex son in laws dad ran into this, he was in college trying to become a school teacher when they awarded his TDIU they pulled his Voc Rehab funding they let him keep the lap top they bought him and all the software, but they told him further education was a waste of his time and their money since he was unemployable...

sometimes you just have to do what your physical body is telling you, I am 54 my mind tells me I am 25 but my body tells me I am 75 and the body wins.....it's hard to come to terms with but the benefits and 100% compensation is what my family deserves not me fighting for vanity when my body is saying "oh hell no you don't" sometimes reality wins

Edited by Testvet