VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected At C\p Exam

Rate this question

dthomas104

Question

I am retiring July 31 09 after 21 years of service. During my separation physical last month I was diagnosed with a genetic heart disease called Brugada Syndrome, 14 days later I had an Automatic Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator (AICD) installed in my chest for life, a great retirement gift.

The question is, will the VA service connect this at mt CP exam? It being genetic is my worry, there was no sign of it at my enlistment in 1988 and the first evidence of its manifestation in my med record was in 2000. The syndrome was not officially identified by the medical community until 1992, 5 years after my enlistment.

I am on terminal leave and have no idea what to expect at my first VA meeting to file this claim (and some others) on June 23.

Any advice would help.... (I originally posted this in wrong topic group, sorry)

Thanks!

DT in Mississippi.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

http://www.va.gov/vetapp02/files04/0216553.txt

This is the only BVA case I found for that type of heart disease.

There should be no problem getting this service connected regardless of its origin.

I dont know how they will rate this-

it might be good idea to check out our Schedule of Ratings for cardiac conditions here at hadit.

Some retirement gift-you are right-

Is there any way you could be eligible for CRDP?

Do you have any other potential SC disabilities? now is the time to list anything else in addition to this heart problem?

The above vet lost his case- but not service connection- he was claiming earlier effective date but couldnt get it.

There should be no problem getting this service connected regardless of its origin.

it might be good idea to check out our Schedule of Ratings for cardiac conditions here at hadit.

Do you have any other potential SC disabilities? now is the time to list anything else in addition to this heart problem?

The above vet lost his case- but not service connection- he was claiming earlier effective date but couldnt get it.

You can probably file now. I'd do it now and get the ball rolling so you have income sooner rather than later after getting out. If you have your discharge papers take them to your VAMC and file. If your close to discharge you don't have to have your DD214. They will just ask you to bring that in after discharge. They won't S/C you at the C&P exam. After the exam it will go to a rating officer and he/she will do the decision part. In your case it should be pretty quick. I know you can file in service if you have your discharge orders and retirement date. Just take those papers with you to your local VAMC.

Having to use an AICD for the rest of your life more than likely will get you 100% P&T.

Frank

I am retiring July 31 09 after 21 years of service. During my separation physical last month I was diagnosed with a genetic heart disease called Brugada Syndrome, 14 days later I had an Automatic Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator (AICD) installed in my chest for life, a great retirement gift.

The question is, will the VA service connect this at mt CP exam? It being genetic is my worry, there was no sign of it at my enlistment in 1988 and the first evidence of its manifestation in my med record was in 2000. The syndrome was not officially identified by the medical community until 1992, 5 years after my enlistment.

I am on terminal leave and have no idea what to expect at my first VA meeting to file this claim (and some others) on June 23.

Any advice would help.... (I originally posted this in wrong topic group, sorry)

Thanks!

DT in Mississippi.

Edited by CRYPTOTECH

Here is the site to the FAST LETTERS. Scroll down and you will see the letter for filing for S/C prior to discharge. It's back from 07 but it's still good info.

Frank

http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/HTML%20Pages%20...ast_Letters.htm

Thanks!

DT in Mississippi.

You can probably file now. I'd do it now and get the ball rolling so you have income sooner rather than later after getting out. If you have your discharge papers take them to your VAMC and file. If your close to discharge you don't have to have your DD214. They will just ask you to bring that in after discharge. They won't S/C you at the C&P exam. After the exam it will go to a rating officer and he/she will do the decision part. In your case it should be pretty quick. I know you can file in service if you have your discharge orders and retirement date. Just take those papers with you to your local VAMC.

Having to use an AICD for the rest of your life more than likely will get you 100% P&T.

Frank

Much thanks to both of of you, very encouraging and informative replies. I had never heard of the FAST letters, will bring it up when I meet with the VA. I should be eligible for CR , my fleet reserve is in stone I believe, I just have to get through part 2 of my sep physical next week. Berta, thanks for the link, I have searched high and low on the web and came up with nothing on Brugada and the VA. Besides waiting for the first shock from my AICD, I just may be able to sleep a bit better now. Again, much thanks to you both.

dt