VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Creditors Use Loophole To Seize Protected Benefits

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It has been suggested by several, that Soc security and any disability pay, be in a separate bank or at least a separate account.

And each time your credit card or bank card needs renewed, it should get a new Number and change PINS

From: VeteranIssues-owner@yahoogroups.com [mailto:VeteranIssues-owner@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of charles rankin

Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 9:28 AM

To: VeteranIssues-owner@yahoogroups.com

Subject: RE: [VeteranIssues] Creditors Use Loophole to Seize Protected Benefits

I'm going to cancel my direct deposit and change banks. Other Veterans needs to do this until Congress rewrites the law.

From: VeteranIssues@yahoogroups.com [mailto:VeteranIssues@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Colonel Dan

Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 10:06 AM

To: Veteran Issues by Colonel Dan

Subject: [VeteranIssues] Creditors Use Loophole to Seize Protected Benefits

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/arti...px?RsrcID=48983

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Seems to me if a person would pay his bills then they have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Teac

For me I get a paper check and I get it cashed at the bank and put it in my pocket. I get a notice with every check to sign up for direct deposit which is supposed to be safer, Bs when they get in control of your bank account the bank will do what they want to.

I been getting direct deposit for over 10 years and have NEVER had a problem. I also always pay my bills and don't spend more than what's in my budget. I will continue direct deposit because I get my money faster and I don't have to make a trip to the bank.

Frank

For me I get a paper check and I get it cashed at the bank and put it in my pocket. I get a notice with every check to sign up for direct deposit which is supposed to be safer, Bs when they get in control of your bank account the bank will do what they want to.

Teac and others:

No, you are not necessarily "protected" just because you pay your bills on time. Reason: Identity Theft is rapidly becoming the number one crime. Who is targeted? People who pays their bills on time.

So, if a hacker or other identity thief steals your identity, charges things..and the creditor takes your money..you are out of luck.

You say you are not a victim of identity theft? Good. But dont hold your breath. These theives will probably eventually get around to all people with good crediit standing..it is just a matter of time.

Think this only happens to others? Many thought the same thing until it happened to them.

I support these laws..creditors do not need access to my accounts because some hacker/identity thief/waiter turned thief decided to try his luck with my identity, and a creditor got aggressive about getting "his" money.

Yea..right..trust me because I am an insurance company right? Have you ever watched late night commercials by attorneys offering to sue your insurace company when they deny your claim? Why, if you believe all the insurance company commercials, "your in Good hands" and "Like a good neighbor..... will be there", so you shouldnt need a lawyer to sue your insurance company right? Identity theft "insurance" is largely unregulated, and even if it were regulated does this mean that this insurance company will not try to "weasel out" of your claim? How many identity theft claims can they pay with your $25 per month?

Years ago I worked for one of those well known insurance companies...a very large one. Go ahead and spend your money on this insurance if it makes you feel better..but, if you know what I know about insurance companies, you would be better off visiting Jack Daniels if feeling better is your goal.