VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Your Suggestions

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

While putting together the Evidence and Letter in Support of Claim, I tried to begin with, was to put each page in a protective transparent insertable plastic cover, putting each page back to back when possible to help keep the number of covers to a minimum.

I did start by putting these protected pages in a plastic folder, but it soon became apparent that the folder would not have the copacity to hold all the pages with the plastic covers and I went to a hard bound binder, which appears to be large enough so far, if need I could go to a larger binder, but a hard bound binder with plastic page inserts seems like something the VA would not like to receive and would probably trash the binder or use it for something else after removing the pages and the protective page covers.

How have those of you who have had a claim with many pages to it, that ends up being to thick to staple, present your claim when you file it with the VARO?

Rockhound Rider B) ? ? ?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

You can use large clips that you can get at an office supply store.

Are all of these records for one medical condition? If not, staple each condition separatly; then clip all of them together.

Be sure you've made good use of tabs and a highlighter so the the RO doesn't have to read all of this (they won't); that they only have to read the very necessary info. Use a cover page to identify the tabs, i.e. what is where.

Remember...put the dots very, very close together for the VARO.

As for your cover letter....rule of thumb...never more than a page. More than that; it usually doesn't get read. Your evidence is in your records.

Good luck!

A few years ago I gave a vet some suggestions as to how to put his claims stuff into a large binder.The most important part was his statement of evidence, which was clearly tabbed in the section after his actual claim.Then he tabbed the third part as copies of his medical records which supported his evidence.

I thought he just wanted to get it all in order.

He then presented it to the VA at a DRO hearing-the whole thing-

I think the VA gave him a receipt for it as I don't think he had additional copies of it.

Three weeks later the RO called him -he had succeeded in his claim and they complimented him for a concise presentation of his evidence.I think he lived close enough to go and pick up the binder.

This was good news for him but this happened some time ago-

VA doesn't have time to read much these days.

I presented a lot of evidence to VA over the last 6 years-

Each piece of evidence could stand alone as probative.I would have stopped sending them evidence if they had properly awarded my claim sooner.

The BVA remand mentioned some of my evidence and my IMOs.

The award I got specifically mentioned the very first piece of evidence I had sent and my IMOs.I was a little disappointed because I had sent them some good stuff-and I am sure they read it at the BVA but my long point here is that -I am making a long point when I could have said this in a better shorter way-

Sometimes the most concise rendition is the best-

When I filed an I-9 years ago for this claim I added separate page with list of 35 documented pieces of evidence I had sent to VA up to that point.

I didn't enclose them all again but stated they were all available if needed. I gave specific dates for the medical records in each case,knowing these records were all with the C file anyhow.

The oddest thing of all is this-

I had ordered another IMO but got the award before the IMO had been done.

When I ordered this IMO -I looked up a medical word in my husband's records -a word I had never really thought was significant before.

CRIPES! that word alone would have won my claim!

Duh and double duh-

But this is why IMOs are so important these days- the VA doesn't want to read our medical renditions-but certainly can be forced to read an IMO.

If an IMO doc follows the IMO criteria -they can be brief but to the point and VA will address the IMO because it is from a professional.

One of my IM0s as I mentioned here was not prepared in the IMO criteria at all -just 2 brief statements-of which only one sentence was probative to my claim-

from a former VA doctor-

but the BVA gave it a lot of weight.

I said a lot here to make a point- I am even bored by re-reading what I posted here-

The VA is not taking the time these days to access and read our evidence properly-so by being concise and highlighting the strongest stuff right away-I think the chances are greater in getting closer to an award then by sending them so much they dont even want to consider any of it.

• HadIt.com Elder

First, read my blog on how to write up a addendum to a statement in support of claim. Then go buy a 3" three ring binder and a three hole punch at Wal Mart. Be sure your name and C-file number is in the bottom left hand corner of every page. Then, group everything by condition and number each page in the bottom right hand corner, including the 21-4138 and addendum, as 1 of XXX, 2 of XXX, etc. Then for each seperate document, assign a exhibit number in the top right hand corner, such as E-1, E-2, etc. Under the exhibit number, number the pages within that exhibit, such as 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3of 3.

I had over 350 pages of evidence in my 2007 claim. This is the way I did it, and I went from 20% to 90% in 10 months. It makes it much easier for the rater to read this way.

All the VA will do anyway is take out the papers out of the binder and put them in a folder. Your claims folder. The VA stacks the files on top of one another. They can't stack binders so they take the papers out so it's the same as sending it in without a binder. Numbering and labeling is a good idea though.

Frank

While putting together the Evidence and Letter in Support of Claim, I tried to begin with, was to put each page in a protective transparent insertable plastic cover, putting each page back to back when possible to help keep the number of covers to a minimum.

I did start by putting these protected pages in a plastic folder, but it soon became apparent that the folder would not have the copacity to hold all the pages with the plastic covers and I went to a hard bound binder, which appears to be large enough so far, if need I could go to a larger binder, but a hard bound binder with plastic page inserts seems like something the VA would not like to receive and would probably trash the binder or use it for something else after removing the pages and the protective page covers.

How have those of you who have had a claim with many pages to it, that ends up being to thick to staple, present your claim when you file it with the VARO?

Rockhound Rider B) ? ? ?

I agree with Berta...concentrate your claim information. Dont tell em a bunch of words. Stick with facts you can document. Limit it to one page. Cut out all but the most important stuff.