VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I have been on vacation with my daughter and it has been exhausting-

we have been doing deck and landscaping work- and unfortunately my PC is still acting up-

I just read a week of snail mail- James Terry- Chairman of the Board of Veterans Appeals followed up to me the BVA reply to Congressman Filner.

That was nice-

but with my PC problems (I cannot use Word or printer )I cannot reply to him and Congressman Filner yet-

and maybe it is just as well because the VARO still has not prepared my proper award letter.

I am willing to give them time because my recent award letter should have rendered a decision on all of my pending claims.

This is exactly what VA did in the 1990s to thousands of AO vets and widows to stave off their retro-but I hesitate to tell NVLSP yet because I think I can handle this without their help.

I gave VARO the citations for the Nehmer FAst Letter and links to whatever they need.

It sure pisses me off however because I cannot help but wonder how many AO vets and widows they are still doing this too-even after NVLSP raised hell with them in the 1990s-

and got AO vets and widows almost 30 million in retro that VA was going to keep from them.

I am convinced that this has become a pattern within VA-not just lousy adjudication.

but a deliberate attempt to stall and avoid paying claims that have succeeded.

but I dont understand what benefit there possibly is -for VA to do this-

they can't invest or gain interest on what they withhold in retro.

any ideas where this money goes?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Berta

I will speculate because I have never worked for the VA. Here is my take:

Lets say the VA has 30 million in retro they are stalling. I think its more, or even much more, but lets use your example.

30,000,000. If the VA can lend that money, "direct" in VA loans, and earned 5% interest, that is $1.5 million per year..that they can pay bonuses to management.

I personally think the Retro due to Vets is way, way more than 30million, I think it is more like 500million, and more likely in the Billions. Each Billion will fetch $50 million per year in interest at 5%.

Perhaps more importantly, by delaying and delaying and delaying, this money is put into next years budget, and the following year, and the following year....often for 10 years or more. So, they can spend that money tagged for Veterans, on something else, like employee bonuses.

I am a Microsoft Certified Professional, and suggest you do this for your computer:

go to www.majorgeeks.com

Download and run "Advanced Systems Care" version 3. This "All in One" tool is very helpful, as it cleans registry, eliminates junk, optimizes, defrags, etc. Or, if You IM me, I will give you my phone and you can call me and I will help you with your computer on an individual basis. Its the least I can do for all that you have helped veterans.

I also recommend you NOT use MS Word. Use instead open office. MS Word is a virus magnet, and is expensive. Open Office is free, and does not attract virii. It is available for free at

http://www.openoffice.org/

no, not the way it works. Treasury dishes out money to the VA then the VA dishes out the loans at a higher interest rate.

It works the same way the big banks get the money to do loans.

Frank

Berta

I will speculate because I have never worked for the VA. Here is my take:

Lets say the VA has 30 million in retro they are stalling. I think its more, or even much more, but lets use your example.

30,000,000. If the VA can lend that money, "direct" in VA loans, and earned 5% interest, that is $1.5 million per year..that they can pay bonuses to management.

I personally think the Retro due to Vets is way, way more than 30million, I think it is more like 500million, and more likely in the Billions. Each Billion will fetch $50 million per year in interest at 5%.

Perhaps more importantly, by delaying and delaying and delaying, this money is put into next years budget, and the following year, and the following year....often for 10 years or more. So, they can spend that money tagged for Veterans, on something else, like employee bonuses.

I am a Microsoft Certified Professional, and suggest you do this for your computer:

go to www.majorgeeks.com

Download and run "Advanced Systems Care" version 3. This "All in One" tool is very helpful, as it cleans registry, eliminates junk, optimizes, defrags, etc. Or, if You IM me, I will give you my phone and you can call me and I will help you with your computer on an individual basis. Its the least I can do for all that you have helped veterans.

I also recommend you NOT use MS Word. Use instead open office. MS Word is a virus magnet, and is expensive. Open Office is free, and does not attract virii. It is available for free at

http://www.openoffice.org/

Thanks for the reply-

I really don't think unpaid comp is used for anything else by VA-but I cant help but wonder-you made some great points-

it could be carried over budget wise as you said-and that would make sense-

I think much of the answer lies in the fact that VA has become such an arbitrary system-

that-with almost a million claims pending-

they stall due to the backlog-

but it is deliberate-

Thanks for the offer- as soon as my PC man gets back from India he will set me up with a new PC-this one helped me get my degree and win my claim so I cant gripe-

I have beaten it to death.