VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Healthcare Records

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

I had a nerve conduction study done on March 23, 2009 and the doctor said they did find a problem, but was not very specific. I ve requested the data and doctor progress notes several times, Last week, I finally received a one line note stating a diagnosis that did not make sense. I ve called the doctor several times to request the data to back up this diagnosis, but he has not sent it nor has he returned my calls. I also have made calls to the patient advocate to help.

I m beginning to think that the data and notes were buried because they would support my claim.

Any comments

Paul

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you actually gone to the VA Medical Center where this was done, gone to the Medical Records department, filled out the little one page request, signed it and told the folks behind the counter that you would like to have the records for the date that this was performed?

And, if you can, elaborate upon the one line diagnosis that did not make sense. More info is good.

Maybe we can help you.

What are you claiming for disability and what was the diagnosis. Also you have to file a release form to get records. Remember, he/she is the doctor, not you.

Frank

I had a nerve conduction study done on March 23, 2009 and the doctor said they did find a problem, but was not very specific. I ve requested the data and doctor progress notes several times, Last week, I finally received a one line note stating a diagnosis that did not make sense. I ve called the doctor several times to request the data to back up this diagnosis, but he has not sent it nor has he returned my calls. I also have made calls to the patient advocate to help.

I m beginning to think that the data and notes were buried because they would support my claim.

Any comments

Paul

Have you actually gone to the VA Medical Center where this was done, gone to the Medical Records department, filled out the little one page request, signed it and told the folks behind the counter that you would like to have the records for the date that this was performed? Yes

And, if you can, elaborate upon the one line diagnosis that did not make sense. More info is good.

I've had bouts of severe sciatica since 1972 and the VA Neurologist ordered a nerve conduction study to find the causes. Here is what the testing doctor wrote "Findings are borderline for possible bilateral tarsal tunnel syndrome, affecting the sensory nerves only at this time". Maybe I m overlooking a link between sciatica and this diagnosis. To me, this seems like something that was pulled out of a hat, so that I would stop sending in request and calling the doctor.

Maybe we can help you.

• HadIt.com Elder

It is "funny" that you should mention "Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome".

I just took my mother-in-law to the neurologist week-before-last.

Guess what. Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

She is having surgery July 1st. They enlarge the openings in the spinal column for the places where the nerves exit the spine, or something like that anyway.

As far as getting your med records are concerned, go BACK to the medrec desk and ask them for your medical records and that you'll be happy to wait while they print them out.

At least that has worked for me for the past 5 years.

• HadIt.com Elder

I too have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. I used to wonder if it had anything to do with pes planus or flat feet and or neuropathy. Really does not matter anymore I just have no clue and the Docs don't either.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have flat feet, PN and tarsel tunnel syndrome there is so much overlap that I don't know how the docs really pull it all apart. The flat feet can cause the tarsel tunnel. The symptoms are so similar to PN, but I know the surgery to fix the tarsel tunnel can be a mess and have a long recovery. If you have DMII you probably don't want any surgical cure for foot problems unless you are just unable to walk.

My feet have started to swell after I walk so bad that if I take my shoes off I can't get them back on again. My civilian podiatrist thinks my back problems could be connected to the feet or vice versa. Foot problems are the disease that no one thinks about until their feet start to hurt like a toothache. You are not even aware of them until they hurt. I sometimes feel like I would like to have my feet amputated they hurt so bad.