VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Ordered?

Rate this question

Eric_M

Question

OK, so I go in last year have 3 eye surgeries for SC diabetes complications, had the 4th surgery last month. Prognosis = not good for return of vision. The eye they've been working on is my good eye, other one is already bad.

So I send all prognosis notes, several VA doctor letters stating my specific condtion (legaly blind). Get two different 100% temp awards, for about 3 months convelescence. Filed for "reconsideration" in March 09, asking for a increase in for loss of vison / temp 100%.

I get a call today wanting to schedule a C&P Exam! What the hell??? I looked up the exam guide for vision/retina all the info is in my VA medical files.

I really thought I had a good handle on the process, but now I feel just plain stupid, worse, VERY VERY frustrated/angry.

I am trying to stay positive, but I nearing the end of my warm & fuzzy attitude. I've talked several time wtih a SRO at my local VARO, he has been helpful with what is happening with my claim.

I guess I needed to vent, going blind at 40 isn't good.

Hopefully I am still on the right track for my claim.....Eric

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

A C&P exam is pretty much standard procedure even when you have the medical evidence in your file. There almost always conducted for increase in ratings.

Just do the exam and definetely don't miss it. The examiner will see your medical evidence and should award you accordingly.

Frank

OK, so I go in last year have 3 eye surgeries for SC diabetes complications, had the 4th surgery last month. Prognosis = not good for return of vision. The eye they've been working on is my good eye, other one is already bad.

So I send all prognosis notes, several VA doctor letters stating my specific condtion (legaly blind). Get two different 100% temp awards, for about 3 months convelescence. Filed for "reconsideration" in March 09, asking for a increase in for loss of vison / temp 100%.

I get a call today wanting to schedule a C&P Exam! What the hell??? I looked up the exam guide for vision/retina all the info is in my VA medical files.

I really thought I had a good handle on the process, but now I feel just plain stupid, worse, VERY VERY frustrated/angry.

I am trying to stay positive, but I nearing the end of my warm & fuzzy attitude. I've talked several time wtih a SRO at my local VARO, he has been helpful with what is happening with my claim.

I guess I needed to vent, going blind at 40 isn't good.

Hopefully I am still on the right track for my claim.....Eric

I've had a couple of C&P's, for vision initial rating/service connection & increase for diabetes.

Just thought I had jumped through enough hoops....Eric

A C&P exam is pretty much standard procedure even when you have the medical evidence in your file. There almost always conducted for increase in ratings.

Just do the exam and definetely don't miss it. The examiner will see your medical evidence and should award you accordingly.

Frank

Yeah, This is this facts. Same thing happen to me I came to a DRO hearing with current medical evidence and had been awarded SSD for the very same medical conditions 8 days prior and still was sent for 2 C&P'S. This is they way they do it............Yog

I am on my 2nd exam in 3 months on Tuesday and they have it all in my file I sent them the info the needed highlighted of course and I headed for the exam with the same info and the first exam to present to the doctor for the second time.

Eric M: This is pretty much SOP for the VA. If your last C&P or your medical information is out dated, the VA being the one to say what is and what isn't outdated, they will schedule a C&P exam. They can order one, just of principle, when you apply for an increase, to evaluate for themselves if an increase is in order.

Besides all this, it is one of the legal ways in which they can delay your claim, hoping you will be a no show for the exam, so they then can deny the claim, but the one thing you have to be careful with, is that they can also use the information is such a way to low ball, making a currection in the severity from what it is now, to as much as classify it even at 0%, if they thought they couldget away with it. In your case, that may a bit difficult but not an impossibility with the way the VA messes things up.

In my case, I'm glad that I got some much needed help from my sympathetic PCP documenting my condition in my favor, showing it to be chronic. Now the VA will have to have more than a one exam to show that my condition is not chronic. It could be that my condition was at a low point and not showing it as severe as it usually is.

Don't fret over it too much, if need be, have someone look up your condition in the C&P exam work sheeta, to let you know what you may expect during the exam.

ABOVE ALL ELSE WHEN THE ASK YOU HOW YOU ARE OR HOW YOU FEEL, "DON'T" AND i CAN'T EXPRESS THIS TO MUCH. DON'T SAY THINGS OR YOU ARE OK, FINE, DOING WELL, ETC. ETC. ETC.

tHE EXAMINER WILL USE THAT IN MORE WAYS THAN YOU CAN THINK OF TO MAKE HIS REPORT IN WAYS THAT ARE NOT HELPFULL TO YOUR CLAIM ACTION. SORRY! for yelling electronically.

Good luck and let us know how things go and don't forget to pick up a copy of the exam report, I'm told it takes a few days to show up on the computors so the records office can access it. If you find anything in the report that is blatantly untrue or they miss quoted what you said, make sure you document it and in some way get it into the claims record so hopefully the VA will have to review your C&P in its true light or have it done over clarifying what you descented against. I have never seen it done at the VARO level, but I have at the BVA level.

Good luck and hoping the best on your C&P exam.

Rockhound Rider B)