VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eeds One Year

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I finally found the regs that explains better then I can-why some claims can receive a EED that is one year prior to date of filing the claim.

I always used my husband's posthumous award to show what I meant but here are the regs:

Except as otherwise provided, the effective date of an

evaluation and award of pension, compensation, or dependency

and indemnity compensation based on an original claim, a

claim reopened after final disallowance, or a claim for

increase will be the date of receipt of the claim or the date

entitlement arose, whichever is the later. 38 U.S.C.A. §

5110; 38 C.F.R. § 3.400.

A TDIU claim is a claim for increased compensation, and the

effective date rules for increased compensation apply to a

TDIU claim. See Hurd v. West, 13 Vet. App. 449 (2000). The

effective date for the grant of increase in disability

compensation is the earliest date as of which it is factually

ascertainable that an increase in disability had occurred if

the claim is received within one year from such date,

otherwise, the date of the receipt of the claim. 38 C.F.R. §

3.400(o)(2).

It still sounds like VA double talk-but it does mean that if the medical evidence warrants

a higher rating prior to the actual date of filing the claim-then the EED rules above should kick in -"if the claim is received within one year from such date".

This is why it can be important to file TDIU claims ASAP.

A vet could get a SSA award for a NSC condition that becomes SC and basis for TDIU award but that favorable one year prior to claim date EED is lost if the veteran does not inform VA of the SSA award ( # 18 question on the TDIU form) or tell them in some other way prior to the end of the year prior to filing the claim.

HUH? I guess I am making this explanation more convoluted than the regs are.

I overheard a Vietnam vet tell my former rep (he had PTSD claim in progress) that he also had got SSA award for PTSD.The rep said- Gee that is interesting and did nothing else about this news.I didnt say anything because by then I was a sore spot for this whole outfit of reps-

but I hope the vet told VA of this award- it was far more important then being very interesting-

if the vet did fill out the 21- 8940 form prior to the SSA award he could have checked No to # 18 and then nothing would have triggered VA to get his SSA records.

If he succeeded with his VA claim, the actual EED could have been more favorable

then date he filed the VA claim-if the SSA award preceeded the claim filing date -by up to a year.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie

Several people, including yourself, have attempted to post links to Alex Humphries posts, and, as far as I know, none of them work anymore. I suggest You try these..they did work, once about a few months ago, then stopped working for reasons that are unclear to me.

Maybe you can have better luck with this one:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26566

I dont know why they dont work anymore.

Edited by broncovet

Incidently, Carlie, if you read the regulations on informal claims, and cases like Roberson, you can see where Alex got this. That is, when a Veteran goes to his VA doctor (assuming he has already applied for VA benefits), and tells his doc that he is unemployed, that constitutes an Informal claim for TDIU.

• HadIt.com Elder
Incidently, Carlie, if you read the regulations on informal claims, and cases like Roberson, you can see where Alex got this. That is, when a Veteran goes to his VA doctor (assuming he has already applied for VA benefits), and tells his doc that he is unemployed, that constitutes an Informal claim for TDIU.

Berta, Didn't you mention awhile back about a form 21-8940 and a veteran telling a doctor on that form that he is unemployed? If I got the form number wrong tell me and tell me what that form is.

• HadIt.com Elder
I DONT UNderstand.I received my SSD in 01for deppresion and panic attacks due to back surgerys. these beening NSC. was going to out side Dr,s.who mentioned me as vietnam vet. was not dignosed with with PTSD.I dont think they knew what it was.Filed for PTSD in sept.08 and awarded 50%.with my other previous claims that gave me a total of 90%.i then filed for IU on may 09. if i get or when i get this award i am pretty sure my starting date will be may09. does this sound right or should i claim the date to start on sept08 or my SSD award in 01?my C&P for PTS listed as AXIS1:PTSD.2.Major depressive disorder. AXISII; No dignosis AXISIII:Hypertension. 2Cornary artery disease(CAD)3diabetes mellitus. 4Chronic back pain and back surgery. AXISIVMultiple physcial health problems.AXISV;GAF equal to 55 to 60 for PTSD and 50 to 55 for major depressive disorder.

Harvey, I think V.A. should give you 100% from the date of receipt of your claim in September 2008. If you don't receive that effective date for the 100% rating then you should appeal. Incidentally, on the issue of the SSD you can't get 100% back to 2001 because of 38 CFR 3.400 (o) (2) OR unless you had a pending claim then or a CUE back to that date.