VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Vso To Help!

Rate this question

sjh4951

Question

My DIC claim is at the BVA (two years last March). I have talked with a VSO there in Washington who is from the American Legion. He is handling my claim before it goes before the appeal board. My late husband was receiving social security disability for PTSD (since 1992). He originally filed a claim in 2004 for ptsd but died in 2006 from cancer. No one has ever requested my late husbands social security records. I did, but only got the medical records...no letter stating his diagnosis. I have repeatly told the Washington VSO about the social security records but no one seems to want to request them. Social Security Administration has denied my request for the diagnosis/award letter which shows why my husband was receiving benefits. I was told that they do not give those out but ofcourse we all know better. It is useless for me to continue to try to get the information from them. I do have the original award letter but it does not have the diagnosis on it. Why is the VSO in Washington not interested in getting this information for my claim?

I am concerned that my case will be remanded because of the missing social security diagnosis. What should I

do?

By the way, I posted earlier about the error on Bill's DD214 (omitting the CAR) and the fact that they had him listed as a truck driver.

After contacting the records dept. I got the correct information which lists him as a machine gunner and lists the CAR.. The VA Regional office could have requested these same records but did not. If they had, his claim would have been approved while my husband was still living.

Very frustrating!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have copies of the award you should send it to the BVA As Soon as you can.

Good Luck

Many of the VSO submit info but sit back and wait. You are your best advocate

• HadIt.com Elder

Personally I believe most VSO's are useless low lifes who generally promise veterans they'll work their claim, for them, and then do absolutely nothing. That being said, I would file a written formal FIOA request, for his complete SSDI records, and then submit those, to the BVA, with a waiver of the AOJ's review.

pr

My DIC claim is at the BVA (two years last March). I have talked with a VSO there in Washington who is from the American Legion. He is handling my claim before it goes before the appeal board. My late husband was receiving social security disability for PTSD (since 1992). He originally filed a claim in 2004 for ptsd but died in 2006 from cancer. No one has ever requested my late husbands social security records. I did, but only got the medical records...no letter stating his diagnosis. I have repeatly told the Washington VSO about the social security records but no one seems to want to request them. Social Security Administration has denied my request for the diagnosis/award letter which shows why my husband was receiving benefits. I was told that they do not give those out but ofcourse we all know better. It is useless for me to continue to try to get the information from them. I do have the original award letter but it does not have the diagnosis on it. Why is the VSO in Washington not interested in getting this information for my claim?

I am concerned that my case will be remanded because of the missing social security diagnosis. What should I

do?

By the way, I posted earlier about the error on Bill's DD214 (omitting the CAR) and the fact that they had him listed as a truck driver.

After contacting the records dept. I got the correct information which lists him as a machine gunner and lists the CAR.. The VA Regional office could have requested these same records but did not. If they had, his claim would have been approved while my husband was still living.

Very frustrating!

Edited by Philip Rogers

thanks guys for your responses. I don't know what that form is that you are referring to. Where do I get it?

Some things that are abbreviated lose me...sorry.

YES! My husband's VSO was useless and after my husband passed away I got a different VSO and he was useless, too. He told me straight up that he would NOT help me with the PTSD claim but now he denies ever saying that. Too late because I have done it all on my own. I just hope that I haven't hurt my case. Because my vso did have me sign a POA for the cancer claim than it is listed that I have a VSO for the ptsd..that is why the American Legion rep in Washington has my claim. I have no idea how long they will sit on my claim before it goes before the BVA. It's been over two years now.

When I did call the rep a month or so ago I was told that they are working only on veterans claims where the veteran is 75 years or older. Also told that they will be doing that until the end of July then resume working on the other claims. Frankly I feel they should also put terminal veterans at high priority but apparently they did not.

I hate waiting but do agree with them placing older veterans first.

Anyway I will once again try and get the social security records via the suggestions given here on this topic.

Thanks!

Susan