VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Apology

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Some have taken issue my the word I used to REPEAT what vets at the DOM were saying years ago about the wages VA was paying them to do work that 'federal' VA employees got paid more money for-

to do-

I guess it was OK for the DOM vets to say it at the local VA -but not for me to say it here-

I apologise if this word offended anyone.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ok, Berta, what's the DOM? Can't figure that one out. Thanks!

pr

Some have taken issue my the word I used to REPEAT what vets at the DOM were saying years ago about the wages VA was paying them to do work that 'federal' VA employees got paid more money for-

to do-

I guess it was OK for the DOM vets to say it at the local VA -but not for me to say it here-

to do-

I don't know what word your talking about but I suspect most on here have used four letter words, and I find in hard any veteran would actually be offended by one. On the other hand, if they are offended they sure didn't serve in the US Army or Marines..... because these branches invented words that would make you toes curl and make your mama blush all at the same time smiling as they say them <_< .....I my self am a crusty old vet and I perfer four letter words.... they are colorful and more to the point, and same a lot of time. B) Of course I would never say them around my grandkids (yea right) and my grandkids never herd a four letter word before either... but I bet they use them.... <_<

Berta, you don't owe anyone a &%$():_Y apology!

Someone griped that I used a racial term-

a term that the DOM vets used when the VA was paying them wages at or below the poverty level- to do work for the federal gov at the local VA.

I think that was truly offensive-but no one took issue with that point.

These vets were therefore not unemployable because the VA had 'employed' them .

Philip- DOM- Domicilary--the Bath VA is one of the VAMCs that has this type of hospital care-

it is like a little apartment complex but staffed with nurses etc and is separate from the main VAMC and the Nursing Home.

The DOM concept is to provide food, shelter, and clothing to veterans who either have no income or have very limited income- for a limited period of time.

The vet must have a chronic condition that hinders permanent employment yet the DOM regs state that the vet must need only mininmal medical care and able to use a propelled wheelchair if they are not ambulatory.The goal is to assist veterans to live independently.Often hospitalized vets with low income are offered DOM facilities after their hospitalization.

I know of no one at the local DOM with a SC rating.

However there are vet reps right across the complex who help DOM vets file SC claims.

DOMs have considerable programs such as NA and AA, Vocational workshops, etc and the socalled 'compensated work therapy' program that they call the work programs they had many vets in years ago.

We had problems with the DOM here at Bath many years ago- there were NSC vets who had lived there for year after year- which was not the concept or purpose of the DOM at all.

Unfortunately there was a major overhaul forcing many of these vets into a homeless status and VA placed them into other types of Homeless programs.

And even worse of all-many had what could have been service connectable conditions but never applied for SC until they were forced out of the DOM.

It seems like in today's political correct enviroment no one is ever not offended by something.

So, I apologize in advance for stating my opinion.

Berta, nice job apologizing, but I don't think it was neccesary.

Eric