VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice With Lawyers

Rate this question

tedro

Question

Hi,

I have a law firm handling my appeal. The appeal has already been denied once.

When I was handling it I wanted to get out of Region and into BVA ASAP. The lawyer's strategy is to work within Region as much and as long as possible.

The law firm (a big one) has submitted a Form-9 but it doesn't specify anything. they say the form is not necessary, I forced then to send it but it isn't filled out, they say they submitted "substantial appeal," I guess meaning their "substantial appeal" letter is effective as Form 9.

But see, I got screwed once on this same claim and had to start it all over after I waited 2 years for an appeal that never happened because they said I did not submit a Form 9 -- although I demand a hearing and VA had been telling me once every 6 months for years when I'd call that my HEARING must be soon... eventually in one of those calls they said, "What hearing?"

So i am more than doubly frustrated.

I have experience with this in the past: I have been to a Regional hearing then to 3 BVA hearings in D.C. (2 remands, I won on the third time after "firing" the county guy was supposed to be helping me).

My questions:

I am suspicious that the attorneys are piling up time for their percentage, where as I want t get to the BVA and then to court if necessary ASAP. I built this case myself, so I have the stuff.

Is this what these type and SSI type lawyers do? I.e., take thousands of cases and stall as as long as they possibly can in order to increase their 30%? It seems most of these firms employ lawyers that are former VA adjudicators.

Is there a list of *good* firms somewhere?

Should I let the law firm go and try to get to BVA as fast as I can like I think maybe I should?

I am getting desperate.

Thank you all very much, and I am glad I found this forum.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually, if the lawyer can win it locally you are better off than getting in the two-three year line at the BVA. I don't think they want to pile up the time. I think they want to get paid as fast as possible. The lawyers have bills to pay. If it has to go to the BVA you are sure better off with a lawyer. Call your lawyer on the phone and ask them what is going on with your claim. Stay cool and see if it sounds like they are being truthful with you.