VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefits

Rate this question

dlc1985

Question

Now that I am rated 100% SC What are my benefits? 1. How do I go about getting insurance for my wife? 2. Can she now go to school on the VA? 3. Will I have base/Commissionary Priveledges? If so, how do I get my new card? Where can I find the steps? Sorry for so many questions but the VA are not very forthcoming.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you receive a letter from the VA stating that you or your dependents are eligible for Chapter 35 benefits. If you are, you should have gotten such a letter, and in the letter it will inform you of the Chapter 35 benefits due your spouse and children.

To get the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) card to allow you to obtain the "on base" benefits, you need to contact your local VA Regional Office and tell them that you request the "letter" that you need to take to the Visitor's Center at the nearest military installation, there to receive your MWR card (take your wife and any kids to they can get theirs, also) and take your vehicle title and insurance papers so you can get your vehicle "stickers" to allow your vehicle "on base". All this is, of course, dependent upon your receiving the Chapter 35 bennys.

The key to those additional benefits for spouse and children is if the VA has stated your SC is Total and Permanent.

When VA makes a finding of T & P, the Chapter 35 DEA applications are enclosed with the award letter and they often put the wife's name on one and any eligible student 's name on any others they enclose.

If the apps arent with the award letter but the award states you are P & T due to SC you can get these DEA forms at the VA web site.

As I recall VA stated in a separate letter to me that I might be eligible for CHAMPVA and they advised me how to file for it.

I think they say it that way in case a spouse has work related medical insurance already and they would need to know that.

Last night's SVR show involved all the additional benefits for 100% P & T vets and spouses or survivors-they havent gotten it into archives yuet but I believe we posted that info here too -available under a search.

The Commissary privilige thing -I got a letter from the County Veterans Agency for this-not the VA.

you have to make an appointment as I recall for the photo for this card.

You are so right and this was our theme for last night's show- the VA is reluctant to tell us of all the benefits we have-

and how to obtain them.

If VA didnt award you P & T status did they give a reason why?

You should apply for SSDI unless you get that already.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah, it should. I was just trying to remember (that doesn't work too well with me anymore, the remembering things part of it) if they sent all this stuff, the so-called "award letter" and the other stuff, the chapter 35 stuff, all in the same mailing, or not. I think I received it in two seperate mailings.....keep your eye on your mail box and if you don't receive it in the next few days, IRIS the VA and ask them where it is.

Congrats on the WIN!

Feels good don't it?

Be prepared for the "let-down" phase, though. Most of us that have won, well, we kinda have this "let-down" feeling, or at least I did. Don't know what causes it, I'm not a psychologist, but it's kinda like the feeling that you get after your adrenalin rush is over, and your standing there with your bloody lip and your skinned knuckles and your KNOW you won, but you don't FEEL like you WON. or sumpthin lak dat.

• In Memoriam

What Larry said for sure, no doubt. Congrats on your work.

1. Medical dependent medical insurance is ChampVA (do a hadit search). You will be given another letter with brochure for life insurance.

2. Yes

3. Yes, Yes

4. I got my MWR card at my county Army Armory. Should have taken my daughter also..

5. Most of the the benefits are listed in the award letter with separate pages for each benefit. The pages were included from the VA within my state. IE. Property taxes for the years of your wait, explanation of fishing and hunting license if state offered, license tags, and much more info.

Time to take your time.