VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New And Looking For Help

Rate this question

cristo52

Question

Hey: I'm new to this forum so, Hey to all of you and I could use a little help. I recently received a determination from the VA giving me 10% for ringing in my ears, and also got 0% for hearing loss. A couple of years ago I tried to get disability for my heart - I had a stent put in in 2006 - but was turned down even though I was hospitalized in Germany for test after xray showed and enlarged heart. I sent and reviewed my service record and aa number of things popped put at me. When i enlisted (USN) in April 1970, I had to have my blood opressure taken by an outside doctor because it came up high. the four readings I have on the Report of Medical Examination form 88 shows the following readings: 162/76, 166/70, 160/76, 164/80. I went to a doctor and he took the BP over a few days and I got in (crazy as it sounds, I wanted to go in!) so then, I'm in Germany, and they call me on this enlarged heart, do all kinds of tests, then says it's nothing, no heart disease found. The I'm getting out after four years, I'm stationed in Scotland, and my BP readings are as follows: 134/86, 126/86, 130/80, and then down below, in what looks like felt tip marker, net to a signature (not mine) is 136/76 - an average? or just the number that needed to be there to get me out? Any chance I might be able to get a SC for high blood pressure?

Thanks

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome aboard- please go to the Claims Research Forum up top of the page and you could copy and paste this question there-

was this noted on your discharge physical as to the BP?

Did they put a stent in but then say you had no cardiac problems?

Under the Schedule of ratings topic here the HBP readings that VA considers as HBP are there.

Hi to all and thanks for the welcome. I guess I was not as clear as I might have been in my initial post, sorry about that. I have a standard form 88 Report of Medical Examination dated 1 Apr 70. At the bottom left of the page are 4 BP readings 162/76, 166/70, 160/76 and 164/80. After these were taken, I was told my BP was high and that I needed to have my doctor take the readings over several days and report back the findings. This was done, and the BP that is recorded on the back of that form is 112/66, which qualified me for USN enlistment.

Then, while stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany, I went to the U.S. Army hospital there (there was no Navy facitity available) complaining of cold 14 MAR 72, BP was 130/68, docs took an xray and put be in hospital for observation for cardiomegaly with resulting diagnoses no disease found ("patient had no definite evidence of cardiac disease") and as discharged from hospital.

The transfered to Scotland, BP readings on NAVMED 6150/3 on 13 and 14 JUN 1974 - for release from active duty - 134/86, 126/86, 130/80, 136/76, with a recorded reading of 131/82 on front of form.

In early 2006 I was diagnosed with arthrosclerosis and a stent was put in April 2006.

Question is, is there a connection between the seemingly high BP numbers in 1970, 1974 and 2006, that will support claim for SC disability for high blood pressure and then subsequent heart disease?

Hope that is clear.

Thanks in advance

, I

Welcome aboard- please go to the Claims Research Forum up top of the page and you could copy and paste this question there-

was this noted on your discharge physical as to the BP?

Did they put a stent in but then say you had no cardiac problems?

Under the Schedule of ratings topic here the HBP readings that VA considers as HBP are there.

Thanks, Carlie, appreciate the assist.

Incidentally, I'm looking at files right now and came across this: Standard Form 93, Report of Medical History, dated 12 JUN 74, with purpose of examination listed as Seperation Physical. There's a long list of questions, did you have this, did you have that, etc. Number 11, Heart trouble and high or low blood pressure are checked YES. It's signed by a Navy Lt MC same date. Will this support claim for high blood pressure and heart disease?

Thanks again

cristo

cristo.

Welcome to Hadit.

I am moving this post to Claims Research for you.

More member's will view it there.

carlie

Since the time you were discharged and 2006 have you been seen by a doc for HBP? or for any type of heart disease?

If yes...this will help your claim tremendously.

If no, a huge gap in medical care will hurt your claim.

Just how the VA works.