VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssi Verus Ssdi

Rate this question

Cavtrooper088

Question

Hi gang,

I've got a question regarding SSI verus SSDI. I am currently 90%

(70% PTSD-numerous other 10-20%), and will be 61 in a few months. I'm still working, but am struggling with PTSD related issues. I've heard that once you hit 62 and are drawing SSDI that the dollar amount will revert back to the regular SSI that you would normally draw at 62. Can anyone clarify?

Cavtrooper088

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I don't think, or didn't realize, that there was any "reverting back" to be done.

I've been receiving SSDI for several years now, and when I turned 62 (I'm now 63) I just kept on receiving what I was receiving.

They take the money that you would have received, bearing in mind the "quarters" you paid in and the amount you paid in, and you start receiving that amount when you start receiving your SSDI.........and it just keeps on flowin', just as if you had waited until you would have regularly qualified for SS.

Y'all correct me if I'm wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

SSI is supplimental security income and has nothing to do w/retirement but is like welfare for the disabled w/o enough quarters, for SSDI.

SSDI is paid at the full rate you would have gotten if you worked until the retirement age of 65yo(or 66, for some). If you retire at age 62yo you'll receive about 69% of the full retirement rate for life. You need to work until full retirement age (65 or 66) depending on your age now to get the full rate. At full retirement age those on SSDI no longer get SSDI and are paid the same amount but it comes from the retirment acct, rather than the SSDI acct.

If you applied for SSDI now and won you'd get the full amount. Your choice.

pr

Hi gang,

I've got a question regarding SSI verus SSDI. I am currently 90%

(70% PTSD-numerous other 10-20%), and will be 61 in a few months. I'm still working, but am struggling with PTSD related issues. I've heard that once you hit 62 and are drawing SSDI that the dollar amount will revert back to the regular SSI that you would normally draw at 62. Can anyone clarify?

Cavtrooper088

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are getting 90% compensation you make too much to get SSI. SSI is welfare for disabled who don't qualify for SSD. With SSI you are disabled, dirt poor. You can get medicade, food stamps, section 8 housing etc. Actually, you are better off on SSI than on SSD, but you have to crawl in the dirt. You will be reminded frequently that you are a worthless piece of &^%$ at least in my state.

SSI is supplimental security income and has nothing to do w/retirement but is like welfare for the disabled w/o enough quarters, for SSDI.

SSDI is paid at the full rate you would have gotten if you worked until the retirement age of 65yo(or 66, for some). If you retire at age 62yo you'll receive about 69% of the full retirement rate for life. You need to work until full retirement age (65 or 66) depending on your age now to get the full rate. At full retirement age those on SSDI no longer get SSDI and are paid the same amount but it comes from the retirment acct, rather than the SSDI acct.

If you applied for SSDI now and won you'd get the full amount. Your choice.

pr

I'm sorry I used the wrong terms. Regarding SSDI, what I meant to ask was do you draw the reduced amount that is normally drawn at 62, or do you draw the amount normally drawn at age 65 (age 66 for me). Thanks for the help.

Cavtrooper088

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are getting SSD and you then reach your retirement age, you will continue to get the same amount you received of SSD. However, your paycheck will switch over to come from the retirement SS. It is just a matter of bookkeeping records on the SS's part. It doesn't change your end or your amount just the source.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get SSDI now or anytime before retirement age, you will be paid at the full amount you would have received had you continued working until full retirement age. 66 in your case. The only time it is reduced is if you take early retirement at age 62 and then it is about 69% of what you would have received at full retirement age and that payment stays at the reduced rate for life. I hope this answers your question.

fanaticbooks is correct, disability changes at retirement age and then comes from the retirement acct, rather than the disability acct. The rate stays the same.

pr