VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary To Depression?

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Hi,

I have a question about whether or not this would be secondary conditions to depression.

Husband is 70%, but considered 100% IUPT for major depression. His new dr. said he was adding more to his records to include heart disease and severe neurapathy pain making the depression worse. Should he put in a claim for these two conditions, as secondary to the depression?

sbrewer

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You need to get the doctor to give you an IMO stating that the conditions were caused by his depression in order to get them service connected as a secondary condition. He has to state why.

Sounds like from your post the neuropathy and heart disease are making the depression worse. It would have to be the other way around if you were to claim heart disease and neuropathy as secondary to depression. In other words your doctor would have to say heart disease and neuropathy are a result of the depression. I don't think you really have a case as in I never have heard of depression causing heart disease and neuropathy. But maybe the meds he takes for his depression may contribute to the neuropathy. Kind of confused.

Jay

Hi,

I have a question about whether or not this would be secondary conditions to depression.

Husband is 70%, but considered 100% IUPT for major depression. His new dr. said he was adding more to his records to include heart disease and severe neurapathy pain making the depression worse. Should he put in a claim for these two conditions, as secondary to the depression?

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, he's not going to get much more than 70% even if there were other things found that are causing him more depression.

And, as has been pointed out, depression is not going to be causing heart disease or neuropathy....the other way around, yea, but not as stated.

Do I think that he should file claims for heart disease and neuropathy? If they can be tracked back to events that occurred in service and a nexus can be shown between then and now, certainly.