VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unsure Of What To Do...

Rate this question

wmswtsn

Question

I have 20% SC for Bi-Lateral Knee Arthritis, and because of this have been unable to work for over a year. I have been to a Civilian Doctor and he has told me that the only option I have to fix my knee problems are total knee replacement. During this time I have developed anxiety and depression as a result of feeling helpless to provide properly for my family, as well as other things. It has also come to light recently that I have back and hip problems as well. I currently have an appeal going for the 20% I am receiving for my Arthritis, but I was curious if I need to start an entirely new claim for the other problems that I have incurred. If I do file new claim, could that possibly cause problems with my current appeal? Any information to this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

#1. If you are unable to work due to your health, have you applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?

#2. I, personally, would turn in claim(s) for my depression/anxiety as secondary to my SC'd knees and the pain involved.

#3. Same applies to your back and hips. You'll need nexus reasoning by healthcare provider (MD, DO, PA, NP, Chiropractor, Physical Therapist, etc.) to connect any of the above (depression, anxiety attacks, hips, back) to your knees. You will need diagnosis of all the above, along with accompaning x-rays, etc.

You can depend upon the VA to provide this during your forthcoming C&P (provided you file claims, such as the above). But, it'd be really nice if you could provide this to accompany your claim(s) when you file them.

Cause problems with the claim you now have. Oh, I guess it could slow it down some.....or so I've heard....but, all the claim information is supposed to be computerized, allowing different people access to your c-file, etc., so I really do not think that it does. It's slooooooow enough anywho.

I do know that the sooner you file a claim, the earlier the Effective Date of your claim and the earlier the Effective Date the more retro money you'll receive when you prevail in your claim(s).

Edited by LarryJ

I have 20% SC for Bi-Lateral Knee Arthritis, and because of this have been unable to work for over a year. I have been to a Civilian Doctor and he has told me that the only option I have to fix my knee problems are total knee replacement. During this time I have developed anxiety and depression as a result of feeling helpless to provide properly for my family, as well as other things. It has also come to light recently that I have back and hip problems as well. I currently have an appeal going for the 20% I am receiving for my Arthritis, but I was curious if I need to start an entirely new claim for the other problems that I have incurred. If I do file new claim, could that possibly cause problems with my current appeal? Any information to this subject would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the knee replacement surgery you will receive a temporary 100% for 13 months. The rating thereafter will be 30% on both knees. You could than apply for IU. By all means file for the depression.

Vets apply for depression all the time when it's secondary to the primary condition. Are you seeing a shrink for depression? If not you should start doing it to get continuity and possible a diagnosis. Your chances will be better with those two. Also, you will need an IMO indicating your physical injury is causing your depression and aggravating it to the point that it has become a disabling condition. It is very common for Vets to attain secondary depression due to a primary service connected condition. I don't know too much about back problems and hip so I can't help there but I would apply for depression for sure.

Jay

I have been attending classes at va which seem to be pretty fruitless, but have now made an appointment to see a civilian dr. about the depression. I have also applied for social security but have had no resopnse thus far, although I am not very hopeful, because of my age I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I can't thank all of you enough for if nothing else, it has caused me to get off my duff and try to do something to get out of this funk. It breaks my heart to read all the problems that the vets in these forums are having with va. as if it isn't hard enough to try to deal with what they are going thru but to find the strength to fight those that should be helping them. So again thank you all for your responses and the best to all of you.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can get SC'ed for chronic pain disorder then depression comes next and you have evidence to back it up.