Traveling With A Cpap

I saw this topic in the "Member Needs" forum, but it's a pretty old thread and thought I'd post it here as well.

The original question asked about carrying a CPAP on commercial airlines. I travel frequently and carry a CPAP. Under TSA guidelines (and mirrored by the airlines), CPAP is medical equipment and there is virtually no restriction to the medical equipment that can be carried aboard an aircraft. CPAPs and other medical equipment are in addition to the usual "1 carry-on & 1 personal item" limit.

I've been asked all of twice about my "3rd bag" (the CPAP)--once by an airport employee at the entrance to the security line and once at the gate. "Medical equipment/CPAP" ended the discussion. Most gate agents have seen enough CPAPs that they recognize the bag and ignore it.

TSA will screen for explosives (I don't get it either, but hey...its the same goverment that created the VA). You can greatly speed and simplify the process by removing your CPAP from the bag and placing it in bin (doesn't have to be in a seperate bin unlike laptops and now shoes [shoes?]). That way, the TSA will take the CPAP and test, leaving the bag and its contents (mask, hoses, humidifer) untouched. If you leave the CPAP in the bag, then the CPAP, the bag and it's entire contents will have to be screened for explosives.

Believe me, MUCH easier to just put the CPAP in a bin and keeps TSA workers from touching your mask/hose, etc. Those gloved may protect them, but unless the screener puts on a fresh pair (and will if you ask), they don't protect you!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/spe...eeds/index.shtm

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic